Twenty-Four

--Mitch--

Joel is home. Sleeping next to me. I can't sleep though. Not while he's in my house where my child is sleeping. I'm going to give him the papers tomorrow while Andrew is in school. Just in case anything happens, I don't want Andrew to be home.

-

"Good morning." Joel wrapped his arms around my stomach. I tensed up and he backed away, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. My stomach hurts, that's all."

"Oh. I got a new job so I'm leaving soon. Won't be back for a while."

"Joel. Can I give you something? Promise not to get too upset?" I turned around to face him. He had a confused expression on his face.

"Sure. What is it?" I walked over to the table and grabbed a vanilla folder. I handed it to Joel and he opened it slowly while still looking at me.

"It's divorce papers."

"What the hell Mitch?" He sat the folder down on the counter.

"I want a divorce Joel. You don't love me, and I love you but it's to protect Andrew. And myself."

"Protect you from what?"

"You! You killed my baby, Joel. Our little girl died because of you!"

"Mitch..."

"No. There's no explanation you need to give me. I know you hate me, and now you're starting to hate your son. I get that I'm fat and ugly but you're my husband! You're supposed to love me because you married this. You married this nasty man who loved you through everything you did!"

"I do love you Mitch. I'm so sorry. Please."

"Don't lie to me."

"I'm not lying to you. I'm sorry for all I've done, but I still love you. I'm sorry for killing Ruby, but I didn't do it on purpose."

"But you did. You didn't have to take advantage of me, or punch me, and then push me off the bed! I landed on my stomach Joel! You killed her!"

"Mitch! I'm sorry! Okay? I didn't mean to kill her!"

"I don't care Joel. You treat me so badly and Andrew thinks it'd be good if we just, divorced. It's not worth staying with you anymore. You're not a good husband, or a good father."

"I try my best."

"No! You were trying your best in the beginning. You were a young dad who didn't know what he was doing. You were a great father Joel. Then you started beating me. But to beat your kid? How do you do something like that?"

"I, I don't know. I regret it. So much. Please don't leave me."

"I don't care Joel. You're so fucking two sided!"

"Don't say that!" He grabbed my arms and pulled me towards him, "I'm your fucking husband Mitch! You can't leave me."

"I can do whatever I want Joel! You can't control me anymore!" Joel shoved me backward and I fell with a thud onto the tile floor. He stood above me and started kicking me in the stomach.

"You can't do whatever you want! I'm your husband and it's gonna stay that way!" He kicked me once more before walking away, leaving me breathless and in pain.