Ten

--Scott--

I'm so stressed. My father keeps nagging on me about how I need to keep this company under control or I'll be throwing away all his hard work. Yeah, yeah, yeah. In one ear, out the other. I could be doing what I really wanna do instead of working here. I'm wasting my time.

"Morning Mi--Holy shit." I stood up from my desk and walked over to him, "Who beat you up?" He shook his head and walked past me as I went to grab his face to look at it. He sat down at his chair across from mine.

"Mitch, who did that to you? Tell me." I said, sitting down across from him.

"It doesn't matter. Please. I don't wanna talk about it." A tear slid down his cheek and he quickly wiped it away and pulled out his laptop.

"Well. We have a meeting today with a client."

"Okay. Can I go make myself more presentable in the bathroom. Please?" Mitch asked, looking up at me with tears in his eyes.

"Of course, Mitch." He stood up and ran out of the office holding his face with his shaking hands.
-
After the meeting, I had to talk to Mitch. I wanted to know what sick bastard beat him up so bad. He followed me back into the office after we finished and signed papers. He sat down in his chair as I sat down in mine.

"Mitch. Look at me." He lifted his head up slowly, making eye contact, "Tell me. Tell me who did this to you. Please."

"Joel. My husband. He beat me last night for what he found on the roof. It was my fault."

"He beat you for nothing?"

"He beat me for reasons he thought he had. I can't help it. I deserve it anyway. I know I need out, I know. My son told me last night that he would rather have only me, than me get treated like that. I just have to find the bravery deep down to go to that courthouse and get papers."

"Why is it so hard for you still?"

"I feel guilty. And I'm worried. He's all I've ever had. I still want Andrew to have a good role model in his life."

"He has you, Mitch. You're so strong, and such an amazing person. You're all he needs. And if you find somebody else, great! More for you I guess. But don't chicken out under pressure. Don't let him make you feel bad."

"Well, there's also the custody. I'm not sure what'll happen but I don't want him to be alone with my son. I'm worried that without me to take the beatings that he'll beat Andrew. I'd rather take it than him. I'd rather die than let his father do that to him."

"I hear ya. Maybe you should try for full custody."

"No. I could never. I can't take his son away from him. I just don't know want to do..." He held his face in his hands and cried.

"Mitch..."