Fifteen

--Scott--

It's been 2 months since Mitch started working with me. It hasn't changed at all. He's still with Joel, still getting beat up, and is still upset all the time. He's been sick recently though. Hasn't missed a day of work because Joel got fired and he doesn't want to stay at home alone with him, "Morning Mitch." I said as he walked in.

"Good morning Scott." He sat down in his chair and I started staring at him, waiting for him to notice. He looked up at me finally and smiled, "What're you staring at me for?" He giggled when all I did was shrug, "Scott."

"Fine. I know you're sick, Mitch. Why don't you take time off to feel better?"

"I've been feeling sick this whole week. I don't think taking a day off to stay at home with my abusive husband will do better."

"Have you gone to a doctor?"

"No. I think it's just the flu. I'm not throwing up constantly."

"What? Only in the morning." I giggled but he got all serious, "What?"

"It is in the morning. What if it's...morning sickness? Oh no."

"Morning sickness? Like you're pregnant? No way."

"Yes way."

"Have you had sex without protection recently?"

"The first day here. Oh no." Mitch set his head in his hands and started crying.

"You don't know if you're really pregnant, Mitch. It just may be the flu."

"No, it's not. I just didn't think I was pregnant. But I've had the flu and this isn't it. I've been pregnant before too and this is familiar."

"Oh my god Mitch. I'm sorry."

"It'll be okay. Maybe, when I leave Joel, I'll meet a guy who wants kids. We can raise the new baby together."

"I hope so. For your sake."

"Scott. Can I ask you a favor?"

"Sure Mitch. What's up?"

"Today after work, I wanna go see if I'm pregnant. Will you come with me? I don't wanna go alone."

"Absolutely Mitch. It's no problem."

"Are you sure?"

"100%. We'll go right after work."

"Thank you."