Six

--Mitch--

After Scott and I left the company building, he drove us to Chipotle. We ordered and sat down at a window seat in the back.

"So, you're married. How's that like?" Scott asked me.

"It's, fine."

"Are you happily married?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well just because you're married doesn't mean you're happy."

"I'm content, I guess."

"You have a 5 year old son and you're 22. You were young."

"I was, yes. I was 16 when I got pregnant, and 17 when I had him. Married before he was born."

"You only married for the kid, didn't you?"

"I didn't at the time. I did love him. I still do, just the same. Maybe a little less I suppose."

"How does he feel?"

"I feel like he only proposed because he'd feel like shit if he didn't. He pressured himself into it, I know that. He hates being settled down, and I'm quite sure he cheats."

"Why don't you leave him? If he doesn't love you."

"Well I don't know if he doesn't love me. I just know that he doesn't like being married. Having all this responsibility and he hates that he wasted his life. He could've moved away, gone to a better college and became somebody. Now all he is is a husband and a father."

"That isn't enough?"

"I think so. I love being a dad. It's the best feeling in the world. Especially the one who brought him into this world."

"Your son, what's his name again? Andrew?"

"Andrew. Yeah. He's adorable."

"Do you have a picture?" I pulled out my phone and showed him the most recent photo I had, "Aww. He's so cute."

"Thanks. You like kids?"

"I haven't been around many. My sister just recently had a baby but I haven't seen her a while. She lives in Texas."

"Is that where you're from?" I asked, taking a bite of my lunch.

"It is, yes. I moved here after high school with my parents. My sister had her husband in Texas so she stayed."

"Wow. Do you visit?"

"On holidays, of course. We all go down. My father and I don't get along though. He pressured me my entire life to be him. And it made me hate him I guess."

"I'm sorry."

"What about you? Where are you from?"

"Texas. Arlington, Texas."

"Oh me too. It's a small world. Why'd you move here? Your parents move too?"

"I moved here with my husband after our son was born. My parents died when I was 10 and I've lived with my husband since then. We were best friends growing up."

"Both your parents died?"

"Car crash. It was a semi-truck."

"Oh man. I'm sorry Mitch."

"It's okay. It's been 12 years already. They were great parents but shit happens I guess." Scott reached over the table and grabbed my hand. I looked up and saw a big, white smile on his face and gave one in return.

"We should head back." He removed his hand from mine, leaving me disappointed for some reason.

We stood up and left Chipotle, heading back to the company in Scott's expensive car.
-
"How was your first day Daddy?" Andrew asked as I set him down.

"It was fine. Stressful, but fine."

"Good. I hope you don't get too stressed and your hair turns gray." He giggled and poked my thigh before running back to the TV.

"You're home." Joel came down the stairs and walked over to me, placing a kiss on my lips.

"I am. Do you always leave Andrew down here by himself?" I asked, Joel's hands on my waist.

"Yeah. He's 5, and he watches cartoons the whole time anyway." He went to kiss me again but I stepped back, heading for the couch. I sat down next to Andrew and pulled him onto my lap.

"Is Spongebob your favorite show?" I asked him when he laughed at the silly yellow sponge dancing on the tv.

"It is! I love it."

"It is quite funny." When I finished speaking, the tv went black. I looked over to my left to see Joel holding the remote.

"Bedtime Andrew. You too Mitch." He smiled at me but I rolled my eyes, setting Andrew on the ground. He ran up the stairs and I heard his door close as I went up the stairs.