20- Anticipation

Chapter 20

Zorander paces his tower, dressed in his finest clothes for the evening. 

He did as she asked. He had a bag packed and had stashed it in the stables. Her plan was to teleport there to collect their things and make their escape.

He's not sure he can allow her to go through with it. How can he watch her throw her life away for some romantic notion of him? 

Still here he is, dressed up for his own execution and thoughts returning to Annaliese's smile, the light in her blue eyes.

With a sigh he gives up all thought of vanishing from the kingdom without her and accepts his fate. He's too selfish a man to do anything else. And too hopelessly in love.

******

Annaliese slips into the deep blue silk gown she has chosen for tonight and appraises her image in the mirror. She thinks she looks regal enough if she is to be queen, yet cloaked in darkness if her fate leads her elsewhere. She would do her best to rule fairly and well, but the responsibility she knows would be demanding, maybe more than her soft heart can bear. Yet, the thought of leaving her family forever is certainly not what she would choose. 

She straightens and practices a smile. If she can fool herself, she can fool anyone. She thinks she looks confident and happy. Not even Zorander will know her heart is breaking within her, unsure if this will be her last night as Princess Annaliese.

She turns on her heel and walks swiftly away, not turning to look at her room for maybe the last time.

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

********

The ballroom is already filling with guests when Annaliese enters. Her parents had insisted on a larger affair this year compared to last. At the time of the planning, she had been too listless to argue.

As she enters, she is greeted by everyone she passes. "Happy Birthday" and "It's great to see you" and "Lovely party, Annaliese" rings in her ears but she hardly notices. She offers polite and vague "Thank yous" at the proper pauses and continues deeper into the room.

King Randolph is standing with King Kieran, no doubt bragging with stories of Dulcinea's ever so talented sorcerer, effectively taking credit for him. 

Annaliese shakes her head in anger, at how her father can be so proud. Turning she finds her lover entering. They find each other's eyes. Annaliese smiles and starts to approach.

From her side view, she sees black hair attached to a smug smile and nearly stops dead.

She wills her feet to keep moving and reaches Zorander at almost the same moment as the other sorceress.

"Zorander, it's lovely to see you again," she purrs, offering her hand angering Annaliese, knowing the flirtatious gesture.

Zorander shakes the hand and offers a greeting. "Yes you as well, Lady Luciana of Roetzel."