13- His Annaliese

Chapter 13

Annaliese wakes up groggy. Pulling herself up, she feels the pounding of her head immediately. Then she remembers the night before and is fully awake. Trying to fit the pieces together. The beginning is clear enough. The wedding, dancing with Nicholas, Ashlyn...

She groans. "Ugh. I think I told Ashlyn about Zorander... sort of."

Then Zorander and the fight on the veranda. The sting of his rejection there. Nicholas' advances.

The kiss.

Annaliese giggles to herself. Oh that kiss. She thought she might burn up from the heat of it.

They had returned to the party after that, she remembers. Why?

"I don't think I should be alone with you, Annaliese. Not tonight."

She had been sad at that... but felt the heat rise between them, knowing it was not from lack of want that he said it. But then he had also said they should return to make an appearance in case anyone noticed they both left early. They were just going to go back for a little while. She knew he was right.

Then Nicholas had asked her to dance. She didn't really feel she could say no in front of all the guests (especially her parents, looking on with satisfied smiles). So they danced. But she most assuredly did not enjoy it this time.

Zorander had danced with that sorceress. She had forgotten that for a moment.

Then what had happened? The evening gets fuzzy. She thinks she had more wine.

Annaliese sits up slowly and swings her feet out of the bed, keeping her eyes closed from the annoying sun. She stumbles into her wash room and takes a wet cloth and begins to clean her face. Flashes of the night continue to puzzle her memory.

At the end of the night (her night at least, the rest of the party probably having lasted to nearly dawn) Daniel had walked her to her room. She doesn't remember the walk. Had they talked at all? She remembers he took off her shoes and put her on the bed. He had untied her corset just enough to get her started and then had walked out, leaving her to finish alone.

Annaliese takes a drink of water and feels her stomach turn slightly. She needs food, she thinks, but simple food, bread maybe.

Before any of that however, she wants to see Zorander. She dresses and combs out her hair, leaving it down and loose- forgetting the tiara.

In the hall, she looks as far as she can see before walking to his room. She knocks softly.

She hears a shuffling and then he opens the door. Looking at him, she knows she must have woken him. His robe is thrown hastily around him, noticing no shirt under. Only the hollow of his neck.

Annaliese blushes, "Good morning," she manages with enthusiasm, fighting the ache of her head. "I'm sorry if I woke you but I thought maybe we could have breakfast in the gardens." She smiles, thinking she sounds silly.

"I'm surprised you're awake. Is it even morning?"

"The sun's up. Honestly, I've felt better but I couldn't sleep anymore." She pauses. "Besides, we leave tomorrow. I was hoping we could spend the day together..."

Kiss or no kiss she is still scared to death. Seeing him dance with another woman, laughing with her. A mature woman with magical inclinations, while she a mere little girl who plays with magic. She never thought of herself as jealous but there are so many unknowns. She needs a little more... more assurance.

Then he smiles and already her heart swells. "I can think of no better way to spend the day than with you, Annaliese. But perhaps I can dress first, hmm?"