2- The Sorcerer

Chapter 2

Annaliese takes the steps 2 at a time on slender legs, her hair trailing behind her in soft curls. She hates to be late and disappoint her family but there was no better way to spend a day than studying magic with Mr. Zorander. If she lets herself think on it, her little girl infatuation with the sorcerer's mystery had become a young lady's crush while she wasn't looking. The shock of white hair slowly aging him, catching a glimpse of a tattoo on his arm while he is working a spell, the accent in his voice, unlike anyone else in the Kingdom of Dulcinea...

She shakes her head, smiling at herself. Silly little girl thoughts. A powerful sorcerer, 20 birthdays her senior, is not a likely possibility for a scrawny little girl.

When she arrives in the dining room, the first course is just being served and she slides quickly into her seat.

"I'm so sorry I'm late but I had the best day learning magic with Mr. Zorander!"

Her mother, Queen Aramina exchanges a look of subtle bemusement with her husband, King Randolph. "Annaliese dear, I do hope you are not too much in the way. Mr. Zorander has work to do for your father."

"Oh no... or at least I don't THINK I'm in the way... I try to always be very helpful! Look..." She produces a small vial from her gown pocket and passes it to her mother via her brother, Prince Daniel.

"What's this" he asks as he passes it over, watching the green swirl of liquid, almost alive in the vial. "Does it do something awesome?"

"It's the potion you asked for, Mother, to keep the weeds from taking over your flowerbed." Annaliese smiles brightly at her parents. "I helped him mix it for you."

"That's very clever, dear." Queen Aramina smiles warmly. She has a daughter to be proud of and she knows it. But she also knows Zorander can be... prickly, and hopes her sunny little girl isn't a little too much for him to take. Her concern is less for the sorcerer himself but more that he would hurt Annaliese's feelings when he has finally had enough. Though he has seemed to grow more patient over the years...

Annaliese continues to tell the family about her amazing day. They listen politely and then Ashlyn takes the conversation to her "date" and the rest of the meal is a procession of squeals and dramatic hand gestures. Annaliese smiles at Ashlyn, delighted to see her so happy with the outcome of her day, but still focused on her own excitement.

She has been studying magic with Mr. Zorander for years but, and it could be her imagination, she feels as though the last few months he has more freely offered her responsibility and knowledge. Maybe he finally sees that she is growing up. For her own part, and her image of her dear friend, she has seen glimpses of who he truly is. Behind the cold façade of solitude, she knows he wants respect from her Father, and the respect and love of his parents. She has tried to offer, not just her assistance as his "apprentice", but to be a supportive friend as well (of which he did not seem to have many).

With the meal complete, the family retires to their private quarters for the night. Annaliese curls into her soft bed and dreams of magic and fire and smoky spells...

...and of Mr. Zorander.

*******

The next morning finds Princess Annaliese climbing the steps to Zorander's tower as early as she can slip away from breakfast. On her mind is the scroll of parchment he had ripped from her view and what it could mean.

She had known who the seal represented but didn't reveal that to Zorander. She had hoped he might trust her with whatever the content was but that was a foolish little girl fantasy.