14- Luck or Folly

Chapter 14

Zorander and Annaliese walk the market of Bulovia, both equally awed. Annaliese gapes at the street performers, exotic garments, and lavish gilded gifts. Zorander stumbles upon stall after stall of mystic artifacts and magical ornaments. The lovers also delight in each other. They clasp hands as they walk, feeling bold with secrecy. Princess Annaliese never put on her tiara. Mr. Zorander the Great chose to go without his sorcerer's robe.

Today they are only Zorander and Annaliese, all either of them wants to be.

Continuing to look at various shops. Annaliese turns to her companion, "are you ready to go somewhere else? I have my souvenir. Unless, do you want to get something for your parents? For the holiday's or something? It's not terribly far away really."

He waves away the thought. "No, no that's not necessary."

"Well... maybe I should get them something." A very Annaliese determination lights her face.

"Whatever for?"

She has stopped walking in the crowded market. "I just thought maybe since they're your parents and ... I mean since you... since we..." She blushes and shrugs. "I just thought it would be nice." She smiles shyly.

Zorander smiles at her but with a little sadness. "Annaliese, that's a nice thought. But..."

He has no idea how to finish what he is thinking. Something along the lines of "we can't tell anyone I've nearly had your maidenhood (and am not strong enough to swear I won't try again) because if we are discovered I will most likely have my bits chopped off as entertainment during your wedding ceremony to Prince Nicholas."

But he can't find a way to say that nicely.

Instead, he throws up his hands, pretending to give in to her whims. "Fine, fine, whatever you say, my Princess."

She squeezes his hand and leads him onward, into the mass of people. Another hour in the market, Annaliese having selected a beautiful carpet for Zorander's parents, and they are ready to move on. Zorander shrinks the carpet so it is more easily carried and slides it into a bag that holds impossibly more than it should. "Do you think you can enchant it back to larger size when you get back to Dulcinea?"

"Surely with your entire spell collection I can find a way for something that basic. Otherwise, I don't know if I deserve to be on your arm." She says it in jest but he looks away a little at that.

"Annaliese, I think it's the other way around. I'll never measure up for the Princess of my kingdom." He looks a little sad and Annaliese stops walking. She reaches a hand and touches his face sweetly.

"Do you know I spent the last 2 years doubting myself about you? It took a lot of courage you know, being so much younger and... inexperienced." She blushes at that.

Zorander slips his arm around her waist and leads her into the swell of the crowd. "You know I'm not that old. As for experience, well," he leans down and whispers, eyes flashing "we can work on that together..."

***********

Late afternoon is giving way to the warm glow of evening and they begin their return to the palace to ready themselves for dinner.

Seated in the royal coach, making their way back to the palace. They sit across from each other to not cause any suspicion, but their knees touch accidentally between them. His eyes dare her to look away, hers challenge him right back. They are mostly silent, both too enamored with simply being together to need to speak.

At the entrance, Zorander waits as the footman first help Annaliese from the carriage. He follows just behind, careful not to appear too eager. In truth, he is desperate to stay close to her, each moment ticking by, counting down this- their last day.

***********

Dinner is more low-key this evening than all of their time in Bulovia, the Royal newlyweds having departed for their honeymoon, and most of the other guests already returning to their respective kingdoms.

Daniel seems to be in a particularly excitable mood. Keeping a secret hidden from his family, about his rendezvous with Princess Evangeline.

"How was the market, Annaliese?" Queen Aramina smiles as she takes an exquisitely feminine sip of her soup course.

"It was wonderful! So many amazing things! I found a souvenir to remember this beautiful trip and-" She stops before mentioning the gift for Zorander's parents, "-I guess that's pretty much it." She shrugs as if she forgot what else she might have added.

Annaliese and her Mother finish the meal discussing the wedding while Zorander continues to "entertain" the two men in her family. As far as she is concerned, the evening is perfect. She daydreams that this could be what it always is. Her parents, her siblings,  and then her and Zorander. A family.

It's too much to hope for. Isn't it? But today it's amazing.

"Maybe," she thinks, "... just maybe..."

***********

The Dulcinea royals talk late into the night, seeming to take advantage of a rare opportunity of having no obligations and simply enjoying each other's company. For his part, Zorander grows more comfortable as the night sky blackens, a glass of wine or two perhaps calming his nerves. 

When they retire to their private suites, Annaliese drags Zorander through her door and holds him in the middle of her room. She doesn't speak for a long time, he kisses the top of her head and allows her the silence.

She finally raises her head, eyes full of sorrow, and tears. "I don't want you to go."

He smiles sadly but recalls, "You know you're the one that encouraged me to leave."

She smiles with little humor. "Yes but that was before I thought you could love me." She considers for a moment, then, "And besides I thought it would be for like, a month."

He grins a more genuine smile at that and kisses her. Not precisely a chaste kiss, but not full of lust as earlier in the day. A bittersweet farewell.

They make promises. Promises to see each other in the mirror each night. Promises to miss each other as they could only imagine missing breathing. Promises of impossible love, against anything that should try to part them.

She begs him to stay and he aches to comply. Finally, he says she should sleep. A final kiss and he leaves her in the room alone.

He is not surprised when she comes to him in the night, curling into him and sighing in contentment when he wraps his arm over her and pulls her against him. They sleep that way until dawn.

Before the sun sneaks in, she rises from his embrace and looks down at him sadly. One last kiss and her hand brushes his cheek before she turns to leave.

He watches the door as it shuts behind her and continues to stare at it in wonder at his luck...

Or his folly.

Hello My Dear Readers(:

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend!! I hope everyone is well and enjoying this week. I know the world is still crazy and the sense of uncertainty is still relevant. I want to thank those who are reading this book and my Josh Groban one. Don't forget to comment(: