3- Acceptance to Leave

Chapter 3

Later in the evening, when the rest of the castle is settling for the night, Annaliese walks back up the stone steps. It had taken much of the afternoon to calm herself enough to return.

At the door she pauses and takes a breath, closing her eyes. She knocks with confidence and forces a "Mr. Zorander?" from her lips. It sounds a little shaky so she tries again with more strength, "Mr. Zorander, it's Annaliese. Can I come in?"

The door opens and he looks down at her, "A little late for apprenticeship, Princess. I'm about to retire for the evening myself."

Her face falls more than she meant it to and she looks down a little, "Oh, I - I just wanted to say Father was hoping he could meet with you tomorrow just after breakfast to hear your announcement." She forces the sunny smile back to her face. "I told him it's really great news and he is excited to hear it!"

"Oh well... yes that would be fine. I will join him in his study then. Thank you, uh, Princess Annaliese."

"You're welcome!" She pauses and without knowing what else to do states, "Do you mind if I come in instead of standing here in the doorway?"

"I - well... I suppose not." He moves to one side and she bounds in immediately, barely letting him finish the sentence.

"Great because I wanted to ask you about your trip. When will you be leaving?" She tries to sound nonchalant. Like she is interested but not really that concerned. She isn't sure she pulled that off but hoped.

"If your Father gives his leave, I will depart in 6 weeks' time."

"Oh so we have a little time!" He looks at her puzzled. "Before you leave I mean. We have some time we can spend together-".

His expression deepens a touch.

"I mean if it's ok I just was hoping since I won't see you for a while we could maybe spend some extra time, you know... doing magic... and.." She looks at him hopefully. Please understand what I'm saying without REALLY understanding, she thinks. She isn't sure she really understood her full meaning herself.

His face takes on his typical brooding scowl, "Well I will have a lot of preparations to make so I will be really busy for the next few weeks..."

Her heart breaks a little and her smile fades. He notices. He notices and he can't help but finish the thought in a way to bring that smile back to her face.

"... so I could probably use an apprentice I suppose." He waves his hand like it really isn't such a big deal but her face lights the dark room.

"Oh Mr. Zorander, thank you! I will be so much help and I won't get in the way."

"Yes yes well off with you now we can speak more tomorrow. It's very late for Princesses. Even apprentice ones."

Her eyes glimmer and she straightens "Yes Master Sorcerer, I will go straight away and be here first thing tomorrow!"

She turns and starts out of the room and then stops suddenly. Returning to him, she glides across the room and tips onto her toes in front of him. He steps back a step and finds he is against a table and has no where to go.

Her lips press his cheek lightly and linger, just a moment too long to be a peck. She steps back with a delicate lilt to her head and smiles up at him. Her mouth opens like she would speak but she seems to think better of it and decides simply to turn and go. At the door she turns back a moment and waves, "See you tomorrow, Mr. Zorander."

...the death of me He thinks again and begins the walk down the stone steps to retire to restless sleep.

Princess Annaliese sleeps a shallow, dream heavy sleep. She wakes often, glancing to her window each time to gaze at the tower across the castle's courtyard. The tower of the Royal Sorcerer.