xiv. 𝓢𝐈𝐆𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄𝐒.

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────
ɴᴏᴠᴀʟɪsᴇ.
"𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐆𝐎𝐎𝐃𝐁𝐘𝐄
𝐈 𝐃𝐈𝐄𝐃 𝐀 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐁𝐈𝐓 𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄

𝐈 𝐋𝐀𝐘 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒, 𝐈𝐍 𝐁𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄, 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐁𝐘 𝐌𝐘 𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄

𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄, 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐁𝐘 𝐌𝐘 𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄."
ɴᴏᴠᴀʟɪsᴇ.
───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄.

SOMEWHERE IN SPACE.

April 10, 2018.

          𝓘t's been a day since the snap. A day without her loved ones. It was Sakaar all over again, but instead of her being on a planet, she was in space, soaring through nothingness.

As Jaylanie sat in the passenger seat of The Benatar, the spaceship the Guardians of the Galaxy used to get on Titan, she looked out the window before her and then looking down at the ring on her finger, a single tear fell. "I've failed you." She said to herself, no louder than a whisper.

𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗶 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗱𝗶𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗹𝘆? 𝘄𝗲 𝗹𝗼𝘀𝘁, 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲. 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗼𝘀 𝘄𝗼𝗻. 𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴—

Her thoughts were interrupted by a soft singing voice coming from behind her.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday, dear sour-patch.
Happy birthday to you."

𝗶 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗴𝗼𝘁 𝗶𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝗺𝘆 𝗯𝗶𝗿𝘁𝗵𝗱𝗮𝘆. Her father sat beside her in the seat next to her, holding up a small, bite-size chocolate cupcake with a single purple candle in the middle. It wasn't lit, but it's the thought that counts.

"Happy birthday, sweetheart," He leaned over, cupping the back of her head to plant a lingering kiss upon it. "I know this isn't the best way to celebrate your 23rd birthday, but it's gonna have to do for now." He stared at her for a moment, wondering where has time gone. "My goodness, my sweet angel, you're already 23."

It felt like just yesterday she took her first steps, she spoke her first word, now she was 23, all grown up, and the biggest blessing to ever come into his life. She was his will to live, the reason he's still alive.