Finally the road was clear so I crossed and my beautiful baby came to sight. I was the proud owner of a book cafe situated next to a bank on one side and a phone shop on the other. My dad had bought the small building for me after my graduation when I'd told him that I wanted to own a bookstore. He had not been into it at first but I was his little girl and he couldn't say no for very long. He hadn't liked that because I'd just graduated with first class honors with a degree in Finance. He had expected me to take a high end job at one of his friends companies but that's not what I wanted.

My dad was actually responsible for my love of the literal world. When my parents had noticed that I was smarter than the rest of the kids my age as a child they had bought me as many books as I wanted and slowly I'd found my addiction. I'd studied the finance degree to make my parents happy but all I'd ever wanted to do was read books for the rest of my life. It was a far fetched idea but when the old lady of my favorite bookstore told me that she was selling it and moving overseas with her son I'd immediately talked my dad into purchasing it for me. Now I could live my dream for the rest of my life while making a living out of it.

I used my key to get in and the smell of old books, coffee and freshly baked croissants hit my nose. When I'd moved into the building I'd realized that there was a kitchen in the back. I was going tear it down and make the bookstore larger but then I met Salome who talked me into turning it into a book cafe, more like I talked her into it. Our meeting had been one of coincidence but it led to me gaining a best friend, a co-worker and a sister in law all in one person.

I looked around the dusty space thinking about how much more work I had cut out for me. I was not anticipating that I would find a fully furnished but outdated kitchen when I opened the rusty door but that's exactly what happened. I turned away hoping my brother Ashton would be back soon to help me decide what to do. Maybe we could tear the wall down and enlarge the space.

Suddenly the door opened and a disheveled but smartly dressed young woman entered. She was wearing a black pencil skirt with a white blouse and black pumps. Her black blazer was strewn over one hand, the same one that was holding a manila folder. Her eyes looked red with tears but her make up was still perfect and in place, her braids loose from the neat bun they clearly had been in previously. She was about 5'8 in the heels she was wearing so maybe about 5'5 without them. I was 5'6 myself so no much difference.

"I'm sorry we're not open yet."I apologized feeling bad turning her away when she looked like she needed to sit and breath.

I knew I shouldn't have left the sign saying open outside but it had been blocking the entry way when we arrived.

"I'm so sorry, I promise I didn't mean to intrude but I need a cook book and a place to sit down for five minutes. I've been walking all day looking for a job and accidentally left my book in one of the places that I've been to but for the life of me can't remember which one. I've been pushed, threatened, propositioned, seduced and groped. I just want a break."She ranted out ending it with a pleading voice.

I got up from the seat I'd been perched on and offered it to her.

She sat down immediately looking relived to be off her feet placing everything in her hand on the counter. I offered her some water from my bottle which she took gratefully.

"I'm sorry, I didn't introduce myself. I'm Salome Mwanza."She said stretching her hand for a handshake.

I took it with a smile "Nice to meet you Salome, I'm Diana. I'm sorry about the day you've had."I sympathized feeling sorry for her.

"It's okay, maybe I should have listened to my mom that a culinary career was a waste of time but I didn't listen. I love to cook and I'm good at it. Too bad all those people today couldn't see it."She continued rambling.