Chapter Thirty

KAREEM'S POV

"Cupcake not to rush you or anything but at this rate we're going to be very late."I said to Diana standing on the other side of her bathroom door.

"There's nothing wrong with being fashionably late, you can't rush perfection. And besides why are you in such a rush to get there anyway, it's not like you're looking forward to the whole experience."She retorted silencing me immediately.

She was right, I was not excited to be going. I was only doing it because I needed to set my heart free of all I'd been holding in. Talking to Diana about my life had been freeing. I'd never told another soul my life story like that, just bits and pieces. Half of me had expected Diana to run after learning of my ugly past but she stuck around holding my hand as I told her about the ugliness of it all. Her advice to face my family was the only reason I'd agreed to call my mother and inform her we were attending the family gathering. My mother had been elated, little did she know what was about to happen in a few hours when we met. Jamila had been reluctant to go but I had managed to convince her by stealing a few lines from Diana's advice to me.

"Ta da."Diana said in a sing song voice as she opened the bathroom door.

"Perfection indeed."I commented giving her a once over.

She looked really beautiful in a knee length off shoulder short sleeved dress with a lace floral patter and a v-neck design. She wore gold heels to match, her hair was in a fancy updo and her simple make up only added to her natural beauty.

"Let me take you out to lunch instead and show you off. We don't want to waste that look on my family."I commented pulling her into my arms.

"I didn't wear it for them, I wore it for you."She replied with a coy smile.

"You are one wonderful woman."I replied kissing her cheek so as not to mess up her lipstick.

"And you look dashing yourself."Diana complimented straightening the collar of my jacket.

I was wearing a blue suit but I'd simplified it by wearing a white t-shirt and sneakers instead of a button down and loafers.

"We still have to pick up Jamila and Nuru so we better get going."I said.

"Okay let's go."Diana replied taking my arm.

She grabbed her purse from the bed on our way out and soon we were on the road to my sisters apartment.

"Why are we dressed so officially anyway? This gathering is for family only and its during the day. If it were my family we'd be dressed in shorts and t-shirts."Diana asked.

"That's because your family is normal where as mine is everything else but. You'll see for yourself."I answered.

"I wish I could say I'm looking forward to it but from what you and Jamila have told me, all I want to do is cut and run."Diana said with a nervous smile.

"Honestly I'm surprised you're still here, I wouldn't fault you if you bailed. My family are not people I would wish on anyone but I'm really happy you're here. You'll keep me grounded and sane while we are there."I replied.

"I couldn't let you face them alone, we're a team now."Diana said taking my hand and kissing the back of it.

She had no idea how much her presence meant to me and since I couldn't tell her with my words, I decided to show her with my actions.

"Do you have the shade of lipstick you're wearing in that purse?"I asked her as I pulled up in front of my sister's apartment building.

"Yeah why?"