Chapter 33: The Calm

What is karma?

Many would call it a sort of fate or destiny for those who act in extremes. Good karma for those who act kindly and bad karma for those who are cruel. Either way, most would see it as repercussions for someone's actions which would always inevitably come back.

While I'd like to think of karma as something completely uncontrollable, to all honesty, karma seemed less like fate or destiny but more like luck.

Luck wasn't necessarily something someone could just work to improve. It was something uncontrollable and basically predetermined by birth. Not every person was lucky but that wasn't to say that everyone was unlucky. Good and bad things happen to everyone, but some people experience more good while others experience more of the bad.

I've always considered myself to be an unlucky person. I mean, from a young age I was praised and worshiped like a goddess, but that only led to my doom. You'd think that by 'karma' logic I would've been saved by the kindness of my own deeds, but karma isn't kind to the unlucky.

I sighed, leaning back against the cold stone of the strange and rundown castle.

I wonder what the others were doing right now? While it hadn't actually been all that long, it had felt like forever since the last time I'd seen Mikasa or (Y/n). Apparently they, along with Jean and Armin, were moved to their own rooms in another part of the building. Not that I cared about them, but it was right before they started quarnetiening us cadets.

It was all so strange. A handful of cadets were chosen to do something extremely important and then Titans appear inside of the walls? I mean, it was almost too good of a coincidence to be true!

It was something to do with those four, that I was certain of. But seeing as two of them were in the capital and the other two were locked up with me the entire time...

Something wasn't quite adding up and I wasn't very keen or finding out what that was.

I hated to admit it, but I was pretty jealous of the others right about now. Not because they were taken out on a special mission and definitely not because they were able to hang out with (Y/n) right now. It was because... well, I guess the best way to put it was that they weren't sleeping in a stone castle in the middle of nowhere.

In retrospect I suppose that the castle wasn't all that bad. At the very least, the view was nice. And, hey! At least the walls weren't caving in on us just with a single breath! And who knows! Somewhere out there were people who couldn't even manage to get a roof over their heads.

Speaking of heads... a certain shaved one seemed to be lost in his own thoughts. If I didn't know any better I would've thought him to be (Y/n) or something. Though, I don't think (Y/n) was the one who often got lost in her own thoughts. Or rather, it was less of something that she did, and more like something he used to do.

I shook the thought away as I began addressing a certain boy. "Connie..." I started up, "what happened to your village?"

Connie stiffened as he turned his gaze towards me. "It was destroyed." The boy replied, "the Titans... they had already trampled through the entire village by the time we arrived."

The room went stiff with silence aside from the slight shifts people made in their seats. If I didn't know any better I would've thought that someone just died! Well, I guess the way Connie put it basically his entire village just died but I brushed the notion aside.

Connie suddenly shook his head, "but no one had been eaten! It looks like everyone managed to get away. I'm at least glad for that."

"Didn't you say that your village was destroyed?" I inquired.