Chapter 10: Their Bet

I walked side by side with Bertholdt as we made our way back to the cabin. We walked in silence, our strides slow and short as we slowly made our way back. After helping Eren, our small (well actually medium sized) group stumbled back into camp. The sun would be up soon and I already knew I'd be regretting the lack of sleep.

All for the sake of helping an enemy.

It was almost unfair of me to do this. I didn't want to help... or at least a part of me didn't. It was the sort of thing Marcel would've done. It was the sort of thing...

Nevermind.

It wasn't the time to be thinking about those kinds of things. Not when we were on a mission right now. Not while the cost of the world was on our shoulders.

But a single thought lingered in the back of my mind like the petulant ticking of a clock. 'Why couldn't I enjoy myself?' 'What was so wrong with having a little bit of fun right now?'

"Reiner," Eren addressed.

I glanced over my shoulder at the brown haired boy.

How could someone be so naive yet so determined at the same time? To accomplish an impossible task such as killing every single Titan, no less.

I guess it was because I saw myself in him that I was where I was right now.

"Did you need something, Eren?"

"I just wanted to thank you... again," Eren smiled at me naively, "for all the help. I... really need to pass that final test tomorrow, ya' know?"

I wonder... if he knew that I was the Armoured Titan, would he still look at me that way? With so much admiration yet small hints of envy.

"Of course," I smiled back, though I couldn't tell if it was forced or genuine, "I'm sure you'd help me with something just as important, right?"

"Definitely!"

"Gosh, get a room you two," (Y/n) replied teasingly, "if we want to get back to the camp before the sun rises, we should do more walking and less talking.

I felt my face become flushed with heat at her... outlandish comment.

"Is that so?" I mused, "because I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who's walking half asleep."

(Y/n) pouted.

I felt my heart quiver with familiarity.

"Reiner," (Y/n) suddenly urged, "can you carry me?"

I almost choked on air when I heard her question.

While it might've been the fact that she was merely half awake, I never would've thought that the (Y/n) in front of me would act so similarly to the (Y/n) that I knew before. Then again, I would be lying if I said that (Y/n), after all these years, was unrecognizable. Honestly, she really hadn't changed all that much.

I opened my mouth to refuse the girl's request, but... I knew I shouldn't have looked her in the face when I did.

She looked at me with a hopeful expression; one that I don't think she realised she was making.

"...fine."

The (h/c) haired girl smiled excitedly as I kneeled down. She wrapped her arms around me, similar to how someone would give a hug from behind. As soon as I had secured her legs, I stood up and continued walking.

(Y/n) was surprisingly light; lighter than she used to be, at least. Or maybe I was just stronger.

I was barely five paces from where I picked her up when she rested her head on my shoulder. Barely five paces when her breathing became slow and rhythmic. Barely five paces when I knew she had fallen asleep.