Chapter 11: A Mother's Maiden Name

"Sweetheart," an older woman, Mama, chuckled, "stay awake just a little longer."

I yawned, rubbing my eyes to try and rid myself of any lingering fatigue, "when will Papa be home, Mama?"

"I don't know." Mama sighed, her eyes trailing towards the front window by the door, "we'll just have to stay up until he arrives."

I wonder what she was thinking every time she glanced at the door?

I decided not to question it and simply nodded my head instead.

I was never the best at staying awake late into the night. I often found myself with heavy eyelids by the time 10 O'clock rolled around, much less the nights when I tried to stay up past it. Which, due to the curfew that was in place for the residents of the Interment Zone, barely ever happened.

Thus, as I waited for Papa to return home I found myself falling in and out of a light slumber.

That was, until a small pair of hands grabbed onto me.

"Ahh!" I gasped, earning a giggle from the little girl in front of me. She looked at me with innocent eyes; genuine concern after she had seemingly startled me.

Mama laughed at me from across the room.

Even in my tired state I managed to curve my lips to a small frown.

"It's not funny, Mama!" I huffed, "so don't laugh!"

"I'm not laughing at you, Marie," the older woman smiled as she picked up the young girl in front of me, "I'm... laughing with you."

I quirked a brow, "but I'm not laughing, Mama, so how could you be laughing with me?"

"I guess you're right, Marie." the older woman mused as she pulled me in closer to her side on the couch, "but you know; your little sister probably just wants you to stay awake for when Papa comes home."

"Why does Papa always come home so late?" I asked, leaning into the older woman's warmth as a yawn involuntarily escaped me.

"He has a lot of work to do, Sweetheart," Mama answered, "it's a lot of work to be a Warrior. You know that, don't you?"

I didn't know much about the things Papa did for work, but I knew for certain that he was highly respected by others for the work he did. Everyone always seemed impressed by Papa whenever he wore the red armband.

Well... everyone except for Mama.

Mama always looked sad whenever Papa talked about work. It must've been because work was what kept him away from the house most days.

Mama looked especially sad when she found out I wanted to be just like Papa two years ago.

I never really put much thought as to why Mama was sad, but I knew that I didn't want her to be. All I knew was that I wanted Mama to be happy.

"Girls," Mama smiled, "Papa is at the door! Let's go wait for him in the foyer."

Like a spell was cast over me, any notion of sleep I might've felt was washed away at the mention of Papa's arrival.

I grabbed onto the little girl's hand and ran to the foyer with her. I heard Mama laughing as the two of us hid behind her, but I didn't mind. I was laughing too, afterall.

The lock clicked.

The doorknob turned.

The door creaked open.