Chapter 39: Alone

The streets felt so familiar as I made my way to the interment zone. Despite finally going home, there was a feeling of dread welling up inside me.

While we weren't required to stay at our homes in the Internment District, I didn't want to go back to the facility. At least, not right now. There weren't many things that I could do on my own under the supervision of people that didn't fully trust me.

I was going home.

All of the warriors, as well as a good majority of the cadets, had chosen to come back home to see their families.

We were acquainted with the Warrior cadets soon after the power of the Jaw Titan had been transferred to Porco. Colt Grice, Zeke's successor, was a few years older than the rest and a sweetheart.

Then there was Zofia, Udo, Gabi Braun and Falco Grice, a group of young kids competing to see who would inherit the titans of Reiner, Bertholdt and Pieck.

Lastly, there was Emanon Williams. A young girl who had been chosen to inherit my Titan. She was a little older than the other cadets, likely around the same age as Colt.

"Miss. (L/n), I hope you don't mind me asking but... what happened to your left eye." Emanon asked.

I frowned, "I guess you might as well prepare yourself. Each of the Warriors are given a contract of 13 years after they obtain the shifter power. While there are massive benefits, there are always downfalls. The loss of vision in my left eye is a consequence of using my shifter abilities."

Emanon went quiet.

'A little harsh, don't you think? Couldn't even bother to soften the blow?'

Perhaps I was a little too harsh on the girl. The consequences were not always written out for anyone to see. It was more of something one learns along the way.

I wasn't trying to be mean, but I wasn't going to coddle her either.

"When did your eye... get like that Miss. (L/n)?" Emanon questioned.

"The night Porco inherited the Jaw Titan" were the words I didn't say.

"I'm not exactly sure, Cadet Williams, but I don't think it'll happen to you as quickly as it did for me. As long as you don't use your abilities as recklessly as I did... as I do."

We walked in silence for a while before Emanon seemed to gather the courage to ask another question.

"What's the relationship between you and the other warriors?" Emanon asked, pushing a strand of ginger hair behind her ear.

I sighed. Ever since Emanon had been named as the inheritor of the Crystal Titan we'd been told to spend time together. I could tell she wanted a good relationship with me, but I couldn't bear getting close to another person. I shouldn't.

'What, you don't want to form a bond with the next inheritor? She'll know everything about you sooner or later. Every lie... every crime... she'll know them all!'

"I'm close in age to the Warriors, not including Zeke of course, so we grew up as friends. How's your relationship with the other Cadets?" I asked.

Emanon looked surprised for a brief moment but smiled, almost happy that she had finally gotten an answer out of me, "I think they look up to me! I'm not that close with Colt though. He's always ending conversations between us abruptly, and leaves to the opposite side of the room when I enter! I don't think he likes me very much..."