22: Broken Promises

lovetori_xo, this one's dedicated to you oo🥺✨✨

Alsoooo!! PricelessMasson_'s new book (Him) is EVERYTHING!! You need that book in your life, I'm telling you😭❤️❤️ Fall sooo in love with Zayyad and Beverley's story.
*

⊱⋅ ──────────── ⋅⊰

"Nobody said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to part."

-The scientist (Coldplay)
*

⋅ ──────────── ⋅⊰

We walked in silence for a while, the stillness of the night, settling around us, like a thick black blanket, screaming into my skull and begging me to say something.

He kicked a stone, watched it roll ahead in front if him. He kicked it again, walked, kicked again, and again, and again.

He suddenly picked the stone up and threw it with all his might. He was gulping down oxygen. His chest, rising and falling rapidly. He looked like he wanted to cry and scream and simply live off his entire existence reeling in pain.

My heart wouldn't stop beating out of my chest.

He suddenly dropped down on the sidewalk. Gripped his hair in his hand and bowed his head into his knees, his shoulders shaking.

He was crying.

My heart broke.

Kam.

I sat beside him.

"Don't touch me."

I froze at his sharp voice.

He took a deep breath, exhaled. A little softer, he added, "please, don't touch me."

"I just... I want to help."

"Don't say that either. Stop saying that."

I ran out of letters, words, sentences to say.

Depleted, I sat on a rock, far away from him, whispered, "I'm here..."

He said nothing.

"You can talk to me..." I swallowed, "or you can ignore me. But that won't change anything. I'm here and I'm not leaving."

Silence settled between us like dust of another era.

A planet lodged in my throat. I couldn't breath. Couldn't swallow. And why won't my hands stay still? Why are my fingers jittering?

"Kam..." I whispered, clenching my fists, trying to take back what little control of myself I had. "Do you even want me around? Do you want me to leave?"

His neck snapped towards me so fast, I'm sure he had a whiplash. "No! Please, don't go."

I didn't hear him correctly.

"I want-" he took a deep breath. Ripped his fingers through his hair.  "-I want you to stay with me. You don't have to say anything... Just... Just stay. I just want to know you're here. That you won't leave again."

There are fireworks and there are explosions, and right now, I was both.

I didn't hear him correctly because there weren't butterflies in my stomach. There were wasps instead, throwing a goddamn party.