24: Itching Powder

Dedicated to D_harmmie and pweetyaffy🥺❤️ this should have come since. I've known you guys since I was still writing book 1 and I'm grateful for your unwavering support.

⊱⋅ ──────────── ⋅⊰
"And I feel alive for the very first time
Not everyone knows that I'm, I'm lucky to be alive."
-Aurora
⊱⋅ ──────────── ⋅⊰

Guess who's standing in front of your hostel with a bouquet of flowers.

The text greeted me the next morning after I had finished dressing for tutorials the next day.

My hands went to my lips in mortified horror as I imagined Kam, standing in front of the hostel, with flowers in his hands, right there, for everyone to see.

Just kidding. He sent, about two seconds later. Let's take a walk before your morning lectures. I need your advice on something... Einstein 👩🏾‍🔬👩🏾‍🔬

I stifled a laugh and Haliya, sitting cross-legged in the middle of her bed, cleaning her left arm with cottonwool and alcohol, yawned loudly and sarcastically.

I looked at her and she scowled sourly, rolling her eyes.

My eyes drifted to her hands, meticulously working to clean up her left arm. She had gotten more comfortable, dressing up in the room with me, although, she always sent the juniors out, and her daily ritual was the art of covering up her scars.

She cleaned her skin lightly with spirit or alcohol, then, applied a thin layer of moisturizer, massaged on another layer of foundation, spread concealer over it, and... That was it. Her scars were gone, as if they never existed in the first place.

"It's rude to stare, witch. Your mother didn't teach you that?" Her sharp voice brought me back to the sour frown on her face and irritated anger in her scary cat eyes.

I bit my lip and avoided her gaze and she tsked, stood up and dressed in her uniform she had arranged in a neat pile, before setting about to do her face makeup.

I noticed she concentrated more on her nose, creating lines and shadows to make it appear thinner and pointier and when she was done, she stared unpleasantly at the mirror.

Like she hated herself.

She patted her hair, done in the longest fulani braids I'd ever seen, and coiled her edges, ran a Mac through her lips, smacked her lips, put on her shoes, red soled Loubuitons, and walked out.

I looked back at her bed, her corner of the room. Everything was pristine, neat. She had taken proper care to make her bed, fluff her pillows, her satin scarf that she wrapped her hair in at night, was folded beside her pillow.

And didn't know what to think of Haliya Sanusi.

_

Like he said, Kam was waiting for me, outside the hostel, donning a pair of sunglasses that made him appear different, more sophisticated and mysterious.

He noticed me coming and his entire body turned towards me. He had the brightest, quirkiest grin on his face that sent an army of wasps, stinging my stomach.

"Oh God, Asa."

"Fuck."

I recalled last night, I remembered everything and my face heated up at the memory. His arms, his breath, the way he cradled me in his arms, so firmly, like I was spun from cloud.