16: Real

Dedicated to MizeAlexaBliss❤️🥺 love you, hon.
*

"Before you go
Be sure to
Take my soul with you"

-excerpt from a book I will never write.
*

Asa

*

Haliya met me at the subway two days later. She pulled up beside me in her cream Mercedes Benz, donning a pair of sunglasses and unwinded the window, commanded, "get in."

I stared at her at first in confusion, but decided to do what she wanted.

I drowned in soft leather and smooth Arabic music was crooning out of the speaker.

She started driving, not bothered by the piercing silence.

"Uh... Why am I -"

"There's a chocolate bar in that compartment in front of you. Take it."

"I'm full."

"You're starving."

"Why do you care?!" I couldn't hold back my yell or my confusion. "For goodness sake, what's your problem, Haliya?! Why're you doing a complete 180 right now?!"

"Complete 18-" she laughed humourlessly, shook her head. "I'm not doing a complete 180 on anyone, witch. I'm still the same."

"You're not."

She raised a deadly eyebrow at me. "Excuse you? If I remember correctly, this isn't the first time I'm in favour of your relationship with Kam."

I knew what she was talking about. The time she invited me to her party and tried to set me up with Kam...

When I remained silent, she scoffed. "In case you haven't noticed, I really like Kam-"

"Wow, really? I never noticed." I murmured sarcastically. She ignored me.

"Kam... He's different. He makes me..." She bit her lip, murmured something under her breath and exhaled... "Unlike you, I know how to pick my battles and make my defeat work for me. Helping you is the easiest way to get him to stay in my life. If I can't have him as a partner, I have to settle with being his friend," she thought for a while, "who'd still fuck him if he wanted."

"You were making so much sense until your last statement."

"Eat, witch. Don't test me."

I got the chocolate bar out of the compartment, opened it, started eating, and decided to throw up when I get home.

"Where are you taking me?"

She was quiet for a while, I thought she was purposely ignoring me. "I want you to see for yourself, how bad things are for him."

I looked around and recognized the neighbourhood she just drove into.

The sight of Kam's house broke my consciousness to pieces.

It used to stand tall and proud, unshakable. Now, it looked deserted, abandoned, forgotten. The trees were felled, lawn grasses dead, flowers trampled on. The windows were broken glasses, the front door was missing, gate unhinged.

What had happened here?

I pressed a hand to my lips, trying to stop myself from crying out loud. When I kicked the door open and stepped on the asphalt, I nearly fell over.