8: Incest

Dedicated to Choco_lateefah for being my first Ghanaian friend.💙
*

Also, Happy belated birthday, jokinglyjinxed!!!🥳🥳🥳 I hope you had a terrific day🥂🍾🍾🍾
*

______________

"We tried the world, good God.

It wasn't for us."
*
_

________________

Asa
(just cos i think u guys need a mental break from Kam ;) )
*

I was just pulling my skirt over my butt when Tasha walked in. She leaned against the door and studied me for almost a minute.

Embarrassment bubbled in my throat. "What is it?"

She clucked her tongue. "I want you to eat something today."

"I'm not hungry."

"Asa, come and eat. You don't have a choice."

I rolled my eyes, grabbed my bag from the hanger and checked myself one last time in the mirror.

I didn't like what I saw.

The skin around my eyes were darker than usual. Cheekbones jutting out, hair a mess. I hadn't slept much last night. The nightmares had come back with a vengeance.

"There are reporters outside the house, Asa, they are calling you a whore! When will you stop this?!"

"When someone believes me, mum!"

"Don't be stupid! You roped the Madukas into this and now they're getting threats at their job places!"

"They are?" My voice broke. "Why is this happening? Why does it look like I'm the one on trial when Bran is the criminal?!"

"Because you have weak evidences and he has strong alibis!"

"B... But mum, if you'll just believe me-"

"I don't, okay?! Stop all this right now! After the trial, I'll be sending you to the village where no one knows your face or what you've done."

I swallowed, closed my eyes, fisted my palms and tried to convince myself that today would be a great day. A fantastic day.

Tasha was coiled on the couch, eating cereal from a bowl, watching the news with rapt attention.

"-investigators have discovered body tissue from the ruins and are following the lead towards finding the perpetuators. More and more, this is looking like an intentional attack on the Afri oil empire."

I froze at the mention of Kam's grandfather's lifelong business, anxiety wedged in my throat. My lips trembled as I watched the news, zoning out for a few moments.

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU! DON'T SAY ANYTHING' CAUSE I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!

I squeezed my eyes shut and whispered tightly, my voice hoarse. "I'll be staying back in school today to do some extra studying."