Twenty-one • The Thing about Him

Depuis le début

I kept looking at my reflection in the mirror which only showed my torso upwards and spat onto the sink. 

Does this kind of person look like a person who could date a girl like Athena

She's extremely out of my league and yet, here she is, in a relationship, with me.

I didn't know why she, out of all the other people in the world (including that damn asshole who hurt her), chose me. I was less of her and yet, I really did like her.

She was the yin to my yang; the Sherlock to my Watson; the peanut butter to my jelly. Somehow, she balances me out. And I don't know if I'm worthy of it given how I slow her down in my condition in this chair and how I spend less and less time with her each passing day.

But I think I can change that.

Maybe I can.

I quickly got in for a shower and immediately went for a change in clothes. My mind sped fast thinking of ways to rekindle what we have lost lately and to be honest, my chest felt tight but in a good way. It was the good type of tight, actually. The type of tight that comes up whenever you get excited over something.

And I am.

Excited, I mean.

This kind of spontaneity was Athena's thing, not mine. I like things to be planned and all but to think of it, did I even plan on liking Athena in the first place? I didn't like how she easily got on my nerves and how she annoyed the hell out of me every time she popped her adorable, little head into Mr. Jones' bookstore but joining in the spontaneity of the moment was something I think I could get used to. 

After tying in the prim-white laces of my Converses and shoving in my fingers into the gloves I use when pushing my chair, I think it was about time to go and fancy someone to a surprise visit. I only took with me my phone and wallet and immediately sped out of my room. 

I felt the cold rims of my chair graze past my fingers and I felt such a surge of excitement, I almost didn't notice Fitz and Maya weirdly interacting. 

I stopped for a moment and went up to them; Fitz looked awestruck as always in Maya's presence and Maya, well, she looked like Maya.

Frazzled, Fitz quickly went up to me and bent down, whispering something in my ear. Well, I think he attempted to whisper but it was more like a moderately volumed pep-talk/rant. 

"Dude, dude, is this whole scene like,-- really happening or am I just delusional? Man, SHE ASKED ME TO GET COFFEE WITH HER. COFFEE. WITH. HER." Fitz blabbered quickly. He was hyperventilating a bit as he pointed toward Maya who had her backed turned from us, obviously pretending she cannot hear whatever Fitz was saying.

I looked at Fitz straight in the eye and his were quivering behind his glasses which has gotten quite foggy from his breathing.

"Talk about what she likes. Maya would like that." I told him with a subtle grin on my face.

I was happy Fitz finally got to spend even a little time with Maya since I do have my suspicions about the girl for a short time now. He does look like the kind of person who would do anything for the person he likes and luckily, it was Maya. 

"I will. Text me every five minutes to make sure I don't say anything wrong?" he asked.

"No."

"Please?"

"Fitz, just,--no."

"You sure about that?"