Chapter 4

Madden's POV
11 years old

   "Harry, get up off your ass, you're going." I demand of him as I stand in his bedroom and look down on him lounging in his bed.

   "I have absolutely no desire to go to this, so I'm not going." He argues back.

   "Why are you being such a stubborn ass?"

    "Why are you being such a pain in the ass?"

    "Because you're being a stubborn ass." I retaliate, and I see the corners of Harry's lips quirk up, something he only ever does with me.

   Harry doesn't hardly smile, and his laughter is even more scarce. So anytime I get him even close to it, I count that as a win in my book and think about the look on his handsome face for hours after.

   "Madden let's go!" I hear Edge yelling from outside of Harry's window.

   I walk over and peer down outside. "I'm comin'! Just hang on, alright?"

   "Why's Edge out there?" Harry asks as he sits up from his bed.

   "I told you, we're all going to the carnival together." He had to know all of us meant me and the boys, which I was hoping included him but he wasn't wanting to come.

    "Who are you riding with?" He asks.

   "Edge's older brother is taking us."

   Harry's face hardens but he stands up from the bed and heads to his closet. He pulls out his shoes and slips them on his feet.

   "You comin'?" I ask excitedly.

   "Let's go," he says, and walks out of his room and I follow behind him.

   "I'm going to the carnival mom!" Harry yells at Mrs. Anne who is sitting in the living room watching some sappy movie, and I'm guessing his dad is at the hospital working a night shift.

    I hear Mrs. Anne get up and walk into the hallway where were standing outside the living room. "Where are you going, pray tell?"

   Harry rolls his eyes. "The carnival."

   I slap his arm. "Don't be such a grouch about it."

   Mrs. Anne just laughs. "Okay, kids. Have fun! Call me when you're done and I'll come get you if you want me to."

   "Edge's brother is driving us but I'll let you know." He tells her before grabbing my hand and leading us out the door together.

   We pile into Edge's brothers Tahoe and climb into the very back, the only available seats left.

   "You got old Scrooge to come out and play?" Baker asks as we settle in and take off.

   "I'm not a Scrooge." Harry replies, as he sits in the middle seat beside me, and our bodies are all but pressed up against each other.

    "You sure as shit are!" RJ yells with laughter. "But we love your grumpy ass regardless."

   "Get your feet off my dash, Edge." Edge's older brother, Jeremiah, snaps at him. "Now I'm only dropping y'all off here, I got a date with a girl who puts out and I'm not leaving that shit early to come back and get y'all. You're on your own for a way home."

   "Ew, Jeremiah! You shouldn't talk about girls like that." I snap from the back, hating the way all these boys talk about girls in front of me.

   Jeremiah just laughs. "I'm just being honest, Mads. Just wait till you get a little older, boys gonna be sayin' the same things about you!"

    "Hell no!" All my boys yell back, and I feel Harry go tense beside me.