Chapter 5 : Confusing Attractions

11th Century

11th Century

"Damn!"

As soon as the sharp sensation of pain was felt in his leg, Arnav groaned, slowly getting in his senses, as he found himself lying on the soft bedding on floor, in the dim light of an earthen lamp.

Supporting himself on his elbows, he looked at his injured leg which was chewed by that raccoon, finding it bandaged right now...but the unbearable pain was still there.

'Gunjan might have called some local doctor!' He thought, while there was not much injuries on other parts of his body.

A scratch on his arm, and one more on his bare chest, while a muslin cotton fabric was tied around his lower body in place of his pants...

With a sigh Arnav tried to be more comfortable as he got up and leaned on the bambooed-wall behind, with a little uneasiness.

'It must be some tribal house!' Arnav concluded as he observed the caned and grassy roof. The light was too dim, coming from the flickering lamp.

'Which backward area is this...where electricity hasn't reached yet?'

He was confused, ready to bombard Gunjan with question...but she was nowhere visible. On the other hand he found some commotion at the door and a tall young man and an old large woman entered, smiling at him.

But in return they got only a scowl from him.

Well ASR can't smile.

"How are you feeling?" Akash asked him.

"Good!" Arnav replied  monosyllabically....with confused expressions.

"Have some water!" Akash forwarded an earthen jug...thinking that the lack of response of his friend was due to he being thirsty.

He had been unconscious since that morning attack of bear, and with the help of other villagers, Khushi had brought him home.

Touching his parched lips to the earthen jug, he wet his dried throat...still puzzled who these people were and what exactly they wanted.

"Where is she?" He finally asked.... about Gunjan.

"Uh, she is preparing dinner!" Madhumati replied about Khushi. "Babua, whatever happened yesterday.... she is very guilty about it!" Madhumati elaborated.

Khushi had told her how he had left home angrily...and earning a piece of ear from her aunt, she had been remorseful.

"Don't worry...now she will behave more maturely!" Akash assured him while Arnav was not getting what they were talking.

"You know how SankaDevi is Babua! But I know you will manage her!" Madhumati had more trust for the boy, who was looking all clueless now.