Chapter 3 : Riverbank

11th Century

11th Century

Adorning an ankle length skirt with sleeveless chimes in the early morning, the stroke of sindoor visible in her freshly bathed hair, Khushi was sweeping the earthen verandah of her home, with her henna clad hands while her friend Preeto was talking non-stop, sitting on the platform...

"Come on Khushi, won't you tell us how was your first night?" Preeto was pestering her since she had appeared suddenly, while Khushi was trying to avoid the question...her mood already sullen.

Yesterday, after all marriage ceremonies Advay had taken her to his small home, just in the neighborhood of Buaji's. He was planning to take her to other village, next week.

But the lack of enthusiasm of Khushi had dampened his mood.

"Khushiji, I know you don't want me as your husband! But we are married now....and you need to accept this!" Advay had told her in calm voice, trying to make her understand.

But she had refused to utter any word, weeping continuously, being inconsolable, making Advay a bit irritated and he had went out, in the middle of night.

'Can't he be a bit romantic and cajole me or gift me something? How can I get such a boring husband...leaving me alone on our wedding night?'

She had been engrossed in her own silly thoughts the whole night....while Advay hadn't returned home at all.

"Khushi, is everything alright!" Payal sensed that something was off with her friend....who had uttered not a single word since morning. "Did you fight with Advayji?"

Khushi just sighed...not interested to talk to anyone as she just hoped that her gloomy husband return home soon.

._._._.

21st Century

Arnav was in his room, after that verbal spat with Manorama. Slamming the door shut, he removed his tee, displaying his perfect upper torso, preparing to get a soothing shower.

The sudden demise of Samrat had really changed his equation with the family. Now he had no one to support him.

Gunjan used to be his close friend, but a long gap of six years, her marriage and then he being in Harvard had really affected their relationship... and on top, Gunjan's mother was eating his brains.

'Don't know what problem she has with me!'

Of course he knew that the reason was six years old when he had denied to marry Gunjan. But it better be ignored.

'ASR doesn't believe in institution of marriage. It only gives pain!'

Wasn't Gunjan's life an example....