Chapter 36: Wren

I stare my reflection in the floor length mirror, feeling slightly nervous about tonight.

I've triple checked my appearance in the mirror four times in the last fifteen minutes, making small changes to it every time that I do. The green dress I'm wearing falls just below my knees, the fabric clinging to my body. It's a little more form fitting than I usually wear, but I like the way my body looks in it, and I know Luka will appreciate it too.

I've paired it with a pair of black boots, the heel adding a little more formality in case we go somewhere that has a dress code. My hair decided to ignore the attempts I made to straighten it, and instead bounced back into loose waves. They don't look too bad so I run a brush through it quickly before turning away from the mirror, telling myself it's the last time I'm going to check.

I don't know why I'm feeling this way. Luka and I have spent plenty of time together, but this is the first time we've ever been on an actual "date" before, and I'm just hoping it doesn't end with one of both of us yelling at each other. I'm snapped out of my thoughts as someone knocks on the door and I look at my phone to see it's a little after seven. When I open the door, I feel my breath hitch at the sight of Luka standing there. It still amazes me how he manages to make my heart race every single time I see him, and I know I'll never feel this way about anyone else.

He's wearing black jeans and a t-shirt, with a white and blue check flannel hanging over the top. His eye is swollen over a little more, his lip bruised, but it only adds to the sexiness of his appearance. Before I have the chance to say anything, he grabs me and pulls me towards him, his hands disappearing into my hair. I hear him inhale my scent, his face close to mine.

"You smell so good," he whispers, his hands moving down to hug me tighter. When he pulls away and gives me that smile, the one that makes my knees go weak. "You also look fucking amazing."

I feel the heat rush to my cheeks as I take a step back, letting him into my apartment. "Thanks. You do too. Sort of like a sexy lumberjack."

"That's exactly what I was going for," he mocks and I let out a giggle. I walk into the kitchen and grab my bag from the counter, making sure I have my keys before turning to face him. He's leaning against the back of the couch, watching me, and I feel the throb between my legs start to pulse. I return the look, batting my eyelids at him. He pushes himself up and walks towards me, shaking his head. "Don't look at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like you want me to take you into the bedroom and do naughty things to you. Otherwise, we'll never go on this date."

"That's wasn't what I was doing," I lie.

"Really?"

"Nope."

"So, if I slipped my fingers up here..." he says and starts to move his hands up my inner thighs. He keeps going until they're high enough they're touching the outer lace of my underwear, my skin tingling underneath. "This isn't what you wanted then?"

"No," I tell him, but the breathlessness in my voice gives me away. His finger slowly makes it way inside until he touches my flesh, and I know he can feel my arousal on his fingers.

"Are you sure?" He's teasing me, and it feels so good I almost give in. I shake my head at him, trying to hold back the desire I'm feeling on the inside and bite down on my bottom lip. After a moment he removes his hand, taking a step back. "Okay, well let's go then."

"What?" He gives me a smirk and waits for me to admit the truth. Instead, I take a few deep breaths and smooth my dress down, composing myself. "You will pay for that later."