"Is that Evelyn?" The familiar voice of Charlie asks behind me.

"Uncle Charlie!" I beam at my godfather, turning and hugging him.

"Why didn't you come see me sooner?" He laughs, patting my back - he's never been a hugger.

"It took me forever to even leave the house," I giggle, releasing him from my arms. "Your not usually down here," I remember, knowing Curly is probably alone with the horses.

"I had to tell Tommy something, how about you come up after your drink," he suggests, noticing how Jane had walked off to speak to some people.

I turn and down it, quickly walking over to Jane to tell her I'm leaving. "Such a Debby downer!" She teases as she gives me a farewell hug.

"Give over," I snicker, walking back over to Charlie and exiting the Garrison with him.

"Charlie! Tommy wanted to talk to you," a man with a moustache says, his voice gruff. 

"Already done," he says, nodding.

"Who's this lovely lady," he says, eyeing me up making me hide behind Uncle Charlie a bit.

"My goddaughter," he says.

"Evelyn, this is Arthur," Charlie says, urging me to put my hand out.

"Pleasure to meet you, Evelyn," Arthur says, shaking my hand. "You too Arthur," I lightly smile, seeing the razors in his cap.

"Let's go, Curly is waiting," Charlie says, breaking me out of my daze.

***

"Curly!" Charlie calls as we enter the stalls.

"Yes.. Charlie?" He asks, poking his head round the corner with his hat in his hands.

"Evie!" Curly happily chirps, hurriedly walking over to me to give me a hug.

"Uncle Curly," I smile, hugging the man, "how have you two been?"

"Good, good....I have a new horse to look after," Curly happily tells me.

"Am I allowed to see or is it a secret?" I laugh, glad the war hadn't dampened his mood at home.

"Can she Charlie?" Curly asks.

"Tommy won't mind, plus he doesn't even know that she's my goddaughter," Charlie laughs, giving us the go ahead.

Curly takes my cold hand in his warm one and leads me along to a stall containing a black horse.

"Tommy let me name him... he's called... Monaghan Boy," Curly happily says as he lets me go to stroke the gorgeous black horse.

"What time... what time does your work start tomorrow Evie?" Curly asks me, mid-humming a tune to Monaghan Boy.

"I don't start till lunch time, is there something you need?" I ask, used to doing short trips for the two men that helped raise me.

"Charlie needs to go to the.. shops! But he's busy... you know I don't like going alone," he sighs.

"Of course I will go with you, I'll be here by seven, is that okay?" I ask, gazing into the black beauty's even darker eyes, amazed.