Chapter 19

"I've been being sick left right and centre! I knew I shouldn't have let you cook for me!" I grumble, rinsing my mouth out.

"You asked me to, it's not my fault," Tommy scoffs.

"It is your fault! You can't cook by yourself!"

"Well maybe if you helped instead of staring at the wall you wouldn't be ill," he retorts, making me huff.

"I'm going into the New Year sick because of you Tom," I huff, letting him have a hug.

"I'm sorry, I'll have Polly make you chicken soup to make you feel better," he mumbles, stroking my hair. "Why aren't you sick?" I ask.

"Cause I rarely get sick, the last time I was sick was when I had a small cold seven years ago," he smugly says.

"Cocky bastard," I giggle, letting him go and walking downstairs.

"You're meant to go to bed after you've been sick," he says, following me down. "I need to see Star and give her our joint present from Charlie and Curly," I say, picking up the new reigns.

"I'll have Finn take you and bring you back, I've got business to handle," he sighs. "Well you best get him quick, I don't feel like waiting," I chime.

"Don't leave without him, people are drunk," he says, kissing my cheek then exiting my house.

I sigh and put my coat and boots on, holding the reigns in my hands as I wait for Finn to come in.

I walk into the kitchen and put away the dry plates and cutlery, growing bored of waiting. I get up and open the door, stepping outside to see Finn casually strolling down.

I sigh and start walking to the stables, knowing he will follow. "Hey! Tommy said your sick," Finn says, trying to stop me.

"I only threw up, I feel fine now," I shrug, "now come on, you can watch me ride Star."

"Polly isn't going to be pleased, she's getting the stuff to make your soup," Finn reminds me. "I think you forget that the entire Shelby's have a soft spot for me," I giggle.

"Your a Shelby now as well," he huffs. "Not officially, I'm engaged, not married," I smugly say. "Yeah but you attend family meetings, and you spent Christmas with us, and to my nieces and nephews you're their Aunt Evie," he replies.

"Charlie he's annoying me!" I whine, making the man perk up and stare at Finn.

"I'm not! I'm just telling her she's a Shelby now and Polly will be mad at her even if she has a soft spot for the woman!" Finn justifies.

"Why's Polly gonna be mad?" Charlie asks. "Cause Evie's been sick and she's not meant to be outside the house."

"I threw up and I feel fine. I'm a nurse myself so I should know if I should be out or not," I grumble, just wanting to see Star.

"Remember what would your dad do when you were sick?" Charlie asks.

"I am not being on bed rest!"

"I'm not saying you are, but if you feel fine then carry on as you are and if you don't, bed rest," Charlie says, patting my head.

"Can I see Star now?" I give him my best smile. "Yeah go on," he says, making me squeal and rush to the field I know she's in.

"Hi girl!" I say, gaining her attention and a whinny.

I climb over the fence and walk over to the beauty, smiling when she meets me halfway. "I've got some new reigns for Christmas from Charlie and Curly," I say as she nudges the hand they're held in.