Chapter 1

As the train screeches to a stop I grab my small bag containing a few pictures and stand, waiting for the doors to open so I can exit.

Many people push past me as soon as the doors open, causing me to huff and step to the side so they can.

It's not like I have anyone waiting for me.

The second my carriage is empty I step out, seeing the ecstatic faces of wives, sisters and children greeting their fathers, sons and brothers as they return home from the war.

I clutch my bag closer to me as I weave through people, not liking how my shoulders brush every person I pass.

A ragged breath escapes my lips once I'm by the exit and the entrance, glad to finally be out of that horrendous crowd.

With once last glance behind me, I catch a pair of icy blue eyes which don't waver at getting caught. I turn my head and don't look back, walking down the roads of Small Heath to my house.

***

I sit at my kitchen table, knowing I need to go and get some dinner; I don't want to go outside due to there being many people.

The house is filled with a gloomy silence causing me to get up and slip my black heels back on, matching with my dark blue dress.

I grab my purse and coat then exit my house, keeping my head down until I reach the familiar market stalls.

I pay for some bread, jam, fruit and vegetables, knowing I'll have to make sure my job hasn't been filled. "Thank you," I say before I leave, giving the sad woman a smile. She gives me a nod in return, showing her gratitude.

I weave my way around people and head to the hospital, entering and seeing the same receptionist is still there.

"Evelyn Loveridge! I thought you would never show up!" She laughs, motioning for me to come over so she can greet me.

"I had to leave the house eventually," I quietly say, smiling.

"Your job is still there for you if you wish to continue, but we offer free house calls to those who really need it, and trust me, we know who need it," Fern smiles.

"We can reduce your shifts for the first couple weeks if you need so you can spend time with your father," she smiles, causing my mood to dampen.

"Umm, my dad didn't make it through the war, died in the tunnels," I whisper, my heart feeling as if it were tightening.

"Oh I'm sorry my dear! If you need any help getting back on your feet myself and my husband are always here to help." She takes ahold of my hand and gently squeezes it.

"Thank you, I'll be here bright and early," I smile, grateful.

***

I forgot what having the option to sleep felt like. The war ruined that for me.

I step outside, the sky covered in smoke and drunk men making their way home - stumbling home that is.

A few people are getting ready to head to the factories or open up a stall or shop, but everyone has a different emotion on their face.

I finally reach the hospital and step in, already getting beckoned into a room the second my coat is off and my hands are washed.