Chapter 16

Fitz's P.O.V.

I was literally dying over here, waiting for Sophie's response. No, that wasn't right. I was figuratively dying over here. Darn it, Keefe must be rubbing off on me. But maybe literally dying was a correct description. My heart was beating fast and I couldn't seem to breathe. Then again, I didn't actually know what it felt to die, but maybe it felt sort of like this. Wait, what was I even thinking? I quickly cleared my head and turned my attention back to Sophie who still hadn't said a word. I held my breath in anticipation, as Sophie spoke a few seconds later. 

"I-is this a prank? O-or a joke?" She asked.  I felt extremely disappointed. Nothing like I had never felt before. Sophie obviously didn't like me that way.

"No," I sighed. "It's not..." I got up to leave and started walking towards the vines, feeling hopeless. How would I ever meet someone else like Sophie? 

"Wait!" Sophie exclaimed. My heart was broken, but I knew that I would rather have Sophie in my life, even just as a friend, than not at all. I turned around. 

"Yes?" 

"So... So you like me? Like as more than a friend?" She asked. I didn't know how to answer. If I said yes and she didn't like me that way, I might lose Sophie forever. I couldn't let that happen. And I definitely didn't want her to feel uncomfortable around me for the rest of her life. I felt my heart crush as I answered. 

"...No." 

"Oh." We stood there in silence for a few minutes before I spoke again. 

"Do you want to head back? Everyone is probably already eating lunch..." I suggested. Sophie nodded and we walked back towards the cafeteria.

Sophie's P.O.V. 

When Fitz told me he liked me, I thought that maybe, just maybe he meant it as more than friends. But I couldn't tell for sure. Lots of people thought it was funny to have a guy say they like me, just to tell me later on that it was a joke. It was definitely not funny for me. And then when I asked if it was a joke and Fitz said no, I thought that he actually did like me. But I suppose it was foolish to let my hopes rise since when I asked if he meant as more as friends, he said no. He probably just meant that he really liked me as a friend. I internally sighed, feeling heavier than ever. Why did love have to be so complicated? Well, at least I still had him as a friend. 

"Sophie! You're here! Where were you?" Biana asked. I looked up and realized we had reached the cafeteria already. 

"Hi, Biana. I just went outside for some air," I answered half-heartedly. Biana looked at me strangely, then looked at Fitz. I saw her pull really hard on Fitz's arm. 

"Ow! Biana! What was that for?" 

"Nothing," She quickly replied. "But I need your help with something. It's... Urgent." 

"Um, okay? Can it wait till after school is over?" Fitz asked. 

"Nope!" She exclaimed as she ran off to somewhere, dragging Fitz behind her. 

"Well, that was weird..." Marella commented. 

"It really was. Biana never asks Fitz for help on anything!" Dex told us. Everyone nodded in agreement. 

"I guess we'll find out more when they come back!" Linh exclaimed. 

Biana's P.O.V.

"What in the world is wrong with you!" I shouted. 

"Biana! Why is it that every time you pull me aside, THOSE ARE YOUR FIRST WORDS!" Fitz exclaimed. 

"Whatever. Just answer the question!" 

"You didn't even ask me a question! You just said 'what in the world is wrong with you!' How am I even supposed to answer that!" I rolled my eyes. Fitz could be so oblivious at times. 

"I'm OBVIOUSLY talking about Sophie!" I exclaimed. 

"Well, how was I supposed to know that?"

"BECAUSE IT WAS OBVIOUS!" 

"Jeez Biana, calm down! Besides, how in the world is that obvious?" 

"Oh my gosh Fitz, seriously?" 

"Seriously what! All you've done so far is yell at me! And I don't even know why!" 

"Fine, I'll spell it out for you. I know something happened between you and Sophie. I ALSO know it wasn't good. So spill!" Fitz raised his eyebrows. 

"Were you spying on me? You promised not to do that anymore!" 

"I didn't NEED to spy on you. It was obvious!" I exclaimed. 

"I think we have different meanings of the word obvious. What you're saying is NOT AT ALL OBVIOUS!" 

"We'll come back to your oblivion later. First, tell me what happened! What horrible mistake have you made this time?" 

"Wow, sister of the year award," Fitz replied sarcastically. I rolled my eyes. 

"Just tell me!" 

"Fine. I told Sophie I liked her, then she asked me if it was a joke, so I thought she didn't like me, but I still said no since it wasn't a joke. Then I got up to leave and Sophie asked me if I really liked as more than a friend, and I said no, just as friends, so we could still be friends without it having to be awkward," Fitz rapidly explained. "Happy now?" 

"NO! Why would you say no after Sophie asked if you liked her as more than friends!" I shouted. 

"Because she made it clear that she didn't like me! Why else would she ask if it was a joke?" 

"Oh my gosh, Fitz! This is all so obvious! How are you not picking up all the OBVIOUS signs that she likes you!" 

"Because she doesn't!" Fitz argued. 

"Trust me, she does! And she only asked if you were joking because she obviously had trouble in the past with people tormenting her with fake confessions!"

"HOW IN THE WORLD IS THAT OBVIOUS!" I rolled my eyes, once again, at my hugely ignorant brother. 

"It just is," I responded. "Anyways, you have to tell her how you feel again now!"

"No way! I don't need to be rejected by Sophie twice! Once is enough."

"I'm telling you, Fitz, she DIDN'T reject you." 

"Sure..." 

"She didn't!" I protested. 

"Yeah, whatever. I'm just going to go have lunch now with my FRIEND, Sophie." Then he walked out of my dorm and towards the cafeteria. I shook my head in disappointment. This would have been so much easier if Fitz would've just LISTENED to me. But now, I had to take things into my own hands. 

A/N What in the world is Biana up to... Anyways, thank you guys for reading! I want to give a special thanks to @SophieVi345 for posting such nice comments and being super supportive. Please vote or comment down below if you liked this chapter! I also wanted to thank my new followers for following me at @SophieRose72! I have 30+ followers now, more than I ever imagined! I can't wait to start writing the next chapter, bye!