Chapter 31 The Final Chapter

Chapter31

Roy

In these last three months we'd scoured all of southern Scotland, frantically searching for Finn and his family yet still we couldn't find them. Now we'd arrived at the so called 'Sanctuary' only to find it had been burned to the ground. There was nothing left but rotting bodies on the floor and a few corpses roaming around, which we took care of swiftly. God damn it, the General was already pissed at me for 'letting' his troops get killed. Fortunately for us he didn't suspect the truth. If he did, we'd all be dead. He was going to be even more pissed when I told him we still couldn't find Finn, Faye or Morgan.

'What do we do now Major General?' Asked Willow worryingly.

'Check the bodies, make sure Finn and Faye aren't among them,' I told her sounding much more calm than I was.

'You heard him troops, search the bodies,' she shouted.

I walked around the compound, trying to remember what Finn and Faye looked like. If I recalled correctly, Finn was a tall, skinny boy of fifteen with long scraggy blond hair and blue eyes. His sister looked more or less the same except she was two years younger than him. There didn't appear to be any sign of them here, maybe they weren't here when this place was burned down or they could have been lucky and got away. In a country where there was less half a million people actually alive, how was it possible we couldn't even find two kids?

I checked inside the houses as I went round the town, finding nothing but more burned bodies. Someone had clearly been here and made sure that these people wouldn't come back. It looked as though there had been a battle here, who was it between I wondered? We'd heard of slavers setting up camp in various places, but given how well fortified this place had been I didn't think that a group of men could have taken this place. Then again in this world people often surprised you, and not in good ways. I walked into one house that looked to be still intact, it would have been a beautiful place to live. If only we could have gotten here before this happened, we could have helped these people to survive.

That was why I joined the army in the first place, I wanted to stop the worlds horror's and help those in need. Yet since the outbreak I feared that the army had done more damage than good, there were many factions that were just like General Ronald's men. Too many for my liking, neither I or any of my people enjoyed killing we did out of necessity when there was no other choice. I looked around the house feeling relieved that his men were no longer here, the only sad thing about it was having to also kill Kitaro. He wasn't like his peers, he only pretended to be. We couldn't take any chances though, we had to eliminate any chance of General Ronald finding out.

We drove to Greenfield in silence, I was surprised that Leroy and his men had kept quiet usually they were as loud as they came. I kept looking in the mirror at them, to see what expressions were on their cold, uncaring faces. While the drive only took half an hour, it felt we were trapped in the uncomfortable silence for hours, each second took a minute to go by and I kept trying to keep a steady face on. Neither Leroy or Joseph betrayed any emotion in their faces, but Kitaro was a different matter. He sat looking out the window with such a look of melancholy on his yellow tinged face, that if he were not one of Leroy's men I would have comforted him. Willow looked at me and smiled, her soft face tinged with worry.

'We're here,' Willow said as we pulled into the old supermarket.

I nodded as I got out of the car, I decided it was best to do this indoors so they could not escape.

'I want to check the supermarket, it could still have supplies that we need,' I told them.

'I think my men and I will wait outside,' Leroy replied plainly.