Chapter 11 and 12

Chapter 11

Nikita                                     

Half an hour later we pulled into Portree, it was a quaint little town with lots of scenery. We got out the car to find a few roamers shuffling about, we quickly took care of them without any trouble. It seemed that this place hadn't been touched by the burnings or bombings. I felt surprised by this place, it didn't feel as quaint or remote as everywhere else, yet it still had that country charm. It was much more built up and modern than anywhere else on the island, I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not.

'Seems quiet enough round here,' I mumbled.

'Appearances can be deceiving,' Frankie replied.

'Very true.'

We walked along the road, our first stop was Skye wholesalers, we'd be able to get plenty of food from there. It was only a few minutes down the road, I kept a close eye for any walkers along the way. It felt too quiet here. We'd parked at what used to be the bus station, which consisted of four bus stops, the old police station sat across from it as well as six different places to eat.

'It's too quiet,' I told her nervously.

'I know what you mean, but lets just keep going. The sooner we get what we need, the better,' she replied.

We walked pass a few shops, one of which was on old sweet shop. There was a small post office here as well as an old ice cream place, before the outbreak this would have been an amazing place to visit or even live. Down the road directly in front of me there was a chip shop with a wooden picnic bench outside, the old rusted umbrella still sat slightly lob sided in the middle. I smiled thinking that it was the kind of place Frankie and I had always dreamed of seeing.

'I know what your thinking, this place would have been amazing before,' Frankie smiled.

'If only the world hadn't have ended,' I replied a little sadly.

She stopped for a moment and took my hand.

'I know none of us can ever get back what we lost, but this world has opened up so many doors,' she said happily.

'I know what you mean, it's brought us back to our primal selves if you will. Maybe just maybe, in years to come when the world is rebuilt humanity might just get it right,' I answered smiling back at her.

'Here's hoping.'

As we neared our first destination I could hear the low growls of the dead, but I couldn't see them yet. I held my knife firmly in my hand as we rounded the corner, just outside the wholesalers I saw them, two dozen dead trying to claw their way in. There was only one reason the corpses would be trying so hard to get into the building, food.

'There must be people inside,' Frankie said hopefully.

'How are we going to get in there though?' I asked concernedly.

She stood thinking for a moment looking round, there wasn't much in the way of cover and her crossbow wasn't fast enough to take them all out.

'I'll take out what I can with my crossbow, you keep them from getting too close. If we get swarmed, run back to the car,' she told me confidently.

I wasn't sure I liked this plan, but I agreed. I didn't like the idea of inviting people to our home, but I knew Frankie needed to be around others. She had enough arrows to take out at least half of the dead, fortunately as they were so busy trying to get in the shop that they didn't notice Frankie until she'd dealt with half a dozen of them. I stabbed one as it lunged for me, its blood splattering all over me. Frankie took out her knife from her belt, she helped me deal with the three that were coming. Ten down, fourteen to go, I thought.