Chapter 17 and 18

Chapter17

Roy

It had been almost a month since Ronald's men had arrived, neither I nor any of my troops liked them. As soon as they arrived, they took over. Yet it seemed that they weren't any closer to finding Finn, Faye or Morgan than we were. The only thing they'd managed to find out was that Finn was in Scotland. The remaining government and army still had access to security cameras around the country, though not all of them worked.

I had only been awake less than half an hour when someone knocked at my door, luckily I was dressed.

'Come in,' I said tiredly.

'Morning Major General,' Willow greeted me.

'Good morning, what can I do for you Cadet?' I asked yawning.

'The Special Opts soldiers request your presence.'

Judging by her face it had not been a request but a demand.

'Please inform them I shall be there shortly,' I smiled.

'Yes sir,' she replied looking nervous.

She clearly had something on her mind but as always minded her words.

'Please speak freely Cadet,' I told her softly.

She still looked uncomfortable.

'You may close the door if you wish to speak privately.'

A look of relief washed over her as she took a moment peer round the corner to check it was clear before closing the door.

'I am concerned about these Special Opts troops sir,' she said quietly.

'As am I, do you have any specific concerns?' I asked worryingly.

She took a deep breath before airing her worries, once more I felt captivated by her beauty. Her russet curls glistening as a ray of sun light shone through my glassless window. Willow's sage eyes were filled with worry and fear, though unlike some of my crew from the beginning of the outbreak I knew she would never desert us.

'I fear they may be trying to take over, they order us about as if we are new to war. They belittle and humiliate us, and we are forced to stand and take it,' she said shakily.

I sighed, I knew she spoke the truth but there was nothing I could do. They were here and the request of General Hawthorn and none of us, not even I dared disobey or question his orders. Yet I did not wish to see my troops harmed in any way.

'As you know my hands are tied with this, though I do share your concerns,' I told her sadly.

'I know and I understand sir.'

'Please, when we're alone call me Roy,' I smiled.

She nodded.

'Some of the other troops and I have been talking and while I loathe putting you in such a position, I feel there is only one way to deal with these men,' she answered in almost a whisper.

My heart began to race, for I knew while she wasn't directly saying it she was talking about committing treason. I had to admit the thought had crossed my mind more than once, but I was unsure as to whether all of my troops would agree and be able to keep it secret if we were ever questioned.

'How many of the troops have agreed with this concept?' I asked.

'Almost of half sir- I mean Roy,' she replied.

'Do you feel that they would be able lie under oath should it ever be suspected?'

'Yes, we all feel very strongly about this and these troops that General Ronald has sent will surely do more damage to the mission. They willingly admit to killing four people, one of which was a small child,' she said in disbelief.