Chapter 2 and 3

Chapter3

Tamara

I was out on the run with Delilah, Zachary, Jensen and Nikkita and boy was it awkward. Delilah and Zachary talked among themselves, while Jensen and Nikkita didn't talk at all. Even my attempt at humour wasn't lightening the mood. We had looked at the maps in the gift shop, and decided to go as far as Glendale. It was a three hour walk, but we were hoping to find some working cars for on the way back.

'How much further?' Nikkita asked.

'About an hour,' I replied simply.

'It's gorgeous round here, isn't it?' Nikkita said happily.

It was gorgeous summer's day, the sun shone through woodlands making the greenery sparkle with a mystical sheen. I could hear the birds chirp and rabbits scamper through their home. Nature had survived here, the earth was as it was meant to be. It was untouched by the vile plague that destroyed the mainland. It seemed strange that we'd only been here less than twenty-four hours, so much had changed.

Jillian was dead, Nikkita had come back and we had new allies to aid us in our mission in rescuing our family. All hope was not lost and I for one was ready to follow Frankie into war, her idea was brazen but I felt certain it would work.

'It sure is,' Jensen chimed in.

I felt sorry for both of them, and for Frankie as well. They both loved the same woman, and while I'd not had much chance to talk to Frankie about the whole thing properly, I knew that she needed to make a choice. Things were so complicated, I wanted to help but didn't know how.

'You know, Frankie and I used to go on trips to places like this,' Nikkita answered thoughtfully.

'What was she like, you know back then?' Jensen wondered.

'She was so different, seeing her now it's hard to believe it's the same person,' she replied smiling.

'How so?'

'You wouldn't believe it, but she was this quiet, shy girl who actually used to get bullied a lot,' Nikkita told him.

'Wow, really? I can't imagine Frankie being like that,' he said almost in disbelief.

'I know, it's so amazing how much she's changed.'

I walked a little ahead, letting them talk but still listening in. I was actually interested in hearing what Frankie was like before the outbreak.

'Since she came into our lives, she's done nothing but take care of us. When my sister was taken, she took the lead. When our friend Tom died, she was there for us,' Jensen smiled.

'Sounds like the apocalypse has made her stronger,' Nikkita replied.

'I've never met anyone like her, without Frankie we wouldn't have got this far.'

Their voices got quieter, they were lagging behind. I could tell they were going to have a serious talk, while I wanted to give them a chance to talk, I kinda wanted to know what was going on. Not only that, it seemed that someone needed to talk to Frankie and tell her straight. As much as Jensen loved her and I knew she loved him, if she didn't go and be with Nikkita she would always regret it. I didn't know if they would last, both Frankie and Nikkita had changed so much in the last five years. But I didn't want Frankie to always wonder what if, and it wouldn't be fair for Jensen as he would never truly know if he was Frankie's first choice.

'You know that at some point, Frankie needs to make a choice.'

I was surprised that Jensen broached the subject first.