Chapter 27 and 28

Chapter27

Tessa

We made it as far as Northumberland National park, before the cars ran out of petrol. It was pitch black outside, but at least the snow had stopped. I pulled my coat tightly around me, I got out my flash light and pointed it to the boot as my dad got the food out. I saw the look on Delilah's face as we got out of the cars, a single tear fell as she wiped it away.

'Are you alright?' I asked gently.

'Yeah, I just- there's something I need to do here, I'm going to catch up with you guys later,' she said sadly.

Before any on of us could say anything, she disappeared into the darkness. I'd come to know everyone really well, in the time we'd spent together. I could easily see how they'd all survived this long. They looked out for each other, they never turned on one another, even when things were dire. They all pulled their weight, and were willing to listen to other peoples ideas. Even Jensen who was the youngest, was grown up for his age. I cared for them all, even Delilah who I hadn't really spent much time with back at home. I was worried about her, I knew she'd lived here before she met Nikkita, but it was unlike her to go off alone.

'I'm going to check on Delilah,' I told my dad.

He wasn't one for coddling people, or being in tune with their feelings.

'I wouldn't waste your time, she'll be fine,' he said in his gruff voice.

'I know, but I want to,' I replied walking off after Delilah.

I hurried after her, not wanting to get lost in the mass of woodlands. I caught up with her, she looked sad, more sad than I'd seen her in a while.

'Hey, thought you might want some company,' I said gently.

She gave me a weak smile, 'thanks, but I'll be fine on my own,' she told me.

'I know, but none of us should be alone. We don't know what's in here,' I replied.

'True, but there's something I need to do. The others might not understand,' she said quietly.

'What is it?' I asked concernedly.

She stopped for a moment, a look of grief crossed her olive face. I saw the tears in her eyes, whatever was wrong, was clearly hurting her.

'It's my little sisters, two of them are buried here,' she told me.

'I'm sorry,' was all I could say.

'I just figured, since we were here, I could visit them.'

'Of course, and I'm sure the others would understand,' I smiled.

'Thank you, I'll tell them when we get back. It isn't far.'

We walked through the darkened woods, with heavy hearts. We'd all lost so much, my dad and I had lived at Sanctuary since the beginning, we'd helped make it into what it was. As I thought of my home, the images of our family and friends flashed through my mind.

I remembered the fear, like it was yesterday. The screaming, the crying, all that blood, still stuck in my mind. The first person my dad and I lost was my mum, it was before Sanctuary, before we'd even left home. We lived not 10 miles from Thurso, though we were originally from Blackpool. We'd moved there when I was fifteen, we lived in peace for five years before the world ended. We'd barricaded our house, kept all the lights off and stayed in our attic. Dad was always preparing for the end, he was so sure something was going to happen. Even he could not have predicted just how bad things were going to be.

We survived for almost six months, with all the food dad had. When it did run out, we ventured out into the towns to look for food. We'd kept updated with the news, as is was still airing at that time. It warned people to go to the refugee camps, but dad knew better.