Chapter 25 and 26

Chapter25

Ellen

I made sure Finn got home to his mum and sister before leaving for Leicester, now that I was that much closer, I had to try and find my daughter's. I had stayed in sanctuary for months, but I kept thinking about my girls. I had to find my family, there were out there somewhere I just knew it. It would be a long journey, doing it by myself was mad I know but I had to try. My two daughter's had moved to Leicester years ago to go to university, as twins they could not bear to be separated. Hope had gone to study Microbiology while Faith had studied Neuroscience. They had hoped to work in the university and wanted to make a difference in the world of science.

They were two years in to their course when the world went to hell, the last I heard from them was six months after everything went bad. They were heading to the countryside with a group of people in a hope of finding a place to settle, I never got to know if they made if out of the city safely. So now I was going on a suicide mission to find out if they were still alive. After being on the road for two months I had almost reached my destination, I was fortunate that I had found a car when I got to Stoke.

I pulled the car to a stop just outside the city of Leicester, the wind was howling, the roads were icy and the sky pale and bleak. I stood at the side of the car to look upon the devastation, the once tall grey buildings of the city were gone; I could hear nothing as I listened for any signs of life. No walkers, no people not even the sound of a bird. I got back in the car to drive through the city, I kept a close eye on my surroundings as I went through. All the shops were gone, blown to smithereens. Sorrow took over my logical mind, if they hadn't got out there's no way they could have survived.

I kept on going, taking in the dire state of this once proud city. I had visited this place once before, six months before everything happened. They had been so excited to show me round, I saw the museums, the fancy restaurants even the famous clock tower. I couldn't believe that it was all gone, erased from existence in minutes. How could the army destroy everything? What hope did we have of rebuilding civilisation when all our cities were gone?

I needed to find somewhere safe to stay for the night, but there was nowhere around here. I took my time in driving round as I could see no corpses in sight, I kept listening intensely as I went hoping to hear something. The deathly silence was deafening, I saw the long since dead people laying on the floor as I drove by. The tears forming in my eyes could not be held back, I felt such sorrow at the lives that had been lost by the governments selfish choice to save themselves first. The people of this country should have come first but instead they had been left like lambs to the slaughter.

I could only pray that my daughters had escaped this city before its obliteration, I could not remember how to get out of the other side of the city centre as it had been so long since I'd been here. I took a left at what looked like an old bus station hoping I was going the right way, I looked up to see that the buildings on this side of the city had not faired any better.

I came to a roundabout and decided to take the second exit, I could just about make out the writing on the musty half burned sign that told me I was going the right way. I looked out of the windows as I neared there the end of the city centre, a few burned out cars sat in the middle of the road with bodies hanging out the side. As I drove past I could see the bullet holes in the people's head, no doubt the work of the army I thought sadly. I became so entranced at the horrific sight that lay before me that I did not see or hear the herd of infected coming my way, I swerved trying desperately not to crash into anything. I made a sharp left down the road in a hope of avoiding the dead, they had seen and heard me, now they were almost running after the car. I could hear the moans getting closer as I tried to move out of the way of all the cars that were scattered about the road, I went past what looked like another bus station. Like the last one it was in ruins, no hope of hiding out there.