Chapter 13 and 14

Chapter13

Nathaniel

God damn it, first those bitches at the castle thwarted our plans and now the other group had shown up just when we were about to get hold of the two from the castle. We'd kept an eye on the castle, waited for the right time and followed them all the way here. We'd lost our women, our home, everything we'd built. I wouldn't let it go, they'd taken my girl. The others thought I wanted to help them rebuild, when in truth I just wanted Maggie back. I knew she wouldn't be able to live among her people again, she was too far gone. She needed me, like I needed her. We'd even found the cannibal's that lived in Scotland, our agreement was that they help us get out revenge and our women back, in return they could eat whoever else they wanted.

'Retreat men!' I shouted in the midst of battle.

There were too many dead ones for us to fight, we had to come up with another plan. I fled back to car not knowing what else to do, we would drive to our hiding spot near the castle. We'd wait for them to return, and then we'd strike. Maddox jumped into the front passenger seat, along with three of my men. We didn't wait for the others to get in their cars, as I drove off I did see one of the cannibal's get a ride from my people. As we drove towards the castle, Maddox had an idea.

'I've been looking on the maps, I've seen an army base a few hours from here. If we take the weapons we'll have all we need to take out those in Thurso,' he said smiling.

'First we need to get back to the hideout,' I told him.

'Wait a minute, since they're all here why don't we take the castle,' Cyrus suggested.

I thought about it and he was right, as far as we knew only two of them lived in the castle now. No one else should be there when we got back, I'd seen them reinforcing the place so we would be untouchable there.

'Good thinking, let's go,' I replied, feeling confident for the first time since we'd lost our home.

The battle in our home was still fresh in my mind, I saw her be taken but I could do nothing to stop it. My poor Maggie, my queen. I had to get her back, I just had to.

I hadn't felt so helpless since I was a child, when my father died. Before I knew it, images of my previous life flashed before my eyes.

I was ten when he died, my father was an amazing man. He took care of me, when my mother was on her drinking benders. He bore the brunt of her temper so I didn't have to, every week he'd house new bruises and injuries. He worked, cooked, cleaned and took care of me. How he did it all I'll never know, he was my hero. The day he died would always stick in my mind.

My mother was a tiny woman, slender and pretty, with white blond hair and the same piercing blue eyes as me. She came from Poland when she was a teenager, she met my father a few years later. You would not guess she was foreign, her English was damn near perfect. My father told me she was always a little troubled, though she would never speak of her life before. It was not until she fell pregnant with me, that her true nature started to show. It was little things at first, she'd lose her temper over. But as her pregnancy progressed, her violent nature worsened. I only knew all this, because I found his journal years later. Even through all my mothers attacks, he kept on loving her.

The day he died I tried my hardest to help, I didn't know what he'd done to incur her wrath, but she truly lost it that day. Our house was larger than almost any I'd seen, we lived in the upper-middle class area of Hull in East Yorkshire. They were sat on the balcony, enjoying a rare happy moment. My mother drank her wine, my father had her laughing. I listened from behind the door, smiling, thinking how happy they sounded for once.