Chapter 1.2

Chapter 1.2

Mother had given Jennifer some pain killers to relief her of the headache for a good sleep that night. That she told me when I had rushed to her almost immediately after I had heard her shout, "Nigel!!! Call for an ambulance! Jenny has passed out! She is not responding! Please hurry!!"

I instantly got alert. A sharp shock of fear shook my heart and it hit me that something had went wrong. The last time my mother had shouted like the way she had done was on the day I, her and my sister became estranged from my father. A horrible moment not to have for a memory revived. An answer came quick once I had dialed the emergency line, a blessing in disguise.

"Paramedic emergency line, state your problem please" said the emergency hotline officer of Klacont hospital who had answered me, sounding calm as if she was taking a normal call. She had bubblegum in her mouth, I could hear her chewing.

"My sister has just passed out. She is not responding" I shrieked in fright although I had not yet seen the condition of Jennifer.

"What has happened to her to pass out?" the officer asked snappily. She must have gotten tensed up I guess.

"I don't know" I replied.

"Okay" the officer said and then pled. "Have you performed any first aid on her?"

"No, no" I replied, gasping. My breathing mechanism was not functioning in the way it is supposed to at that time.

"Okay. Can you give me your location?"

"It is Jeusta Street of Weca, house number 16."

"Alright. The paramedics will be there in any moment. Don't move her until when they have attended to her."

"Okay. Thank you very much."

When I had ended the call I rushed out of my room and headed downstairs. There was so much adrenaline in me that I felt like I was flying. Though my presence was not going to wake Jennifer up, I still needed to be by her side for her sake and mostly my mother who needed to be kept strong and with hope. I was the only man the two had and after all, that's what family is all about, supporting each other no matter how small it is.

"Have you called the paramedics?" my mother asked me, sobbing. The makeup she had worn on her face, especially around her eyes, had combined with tears and had formed black marks on her face.

"Yes. They said they will be here in any moment" I answered as I bent down to keep a close eye on Jennifer. "We should not move her they said."

After listening to my mother laying down a couple of prayers and calling up Jennifer as she sobbed sorrowfully, hoping that her daughter was going to gain back her consciousness, a different tune invaded the atmosphere.

A wailing sound of an ambulance's siren pushed into the house and into my ears, getting louder and closer with every tick the clocks on the walls were making. Flashes of blue and red lights soon followed, entering the house through a glass door that was of my home. The paramedics had arrived, thankfully quicker than I had imagined.

"Get the door. That must be them" my mother told me, cleaning up her face. "It got to be them."

"Hope so" I said, already on my way to the door. "It's them" I added just after I had opened the door.

Outside the house stood an ambulance, the red and blue lights twinkling above it. Its siren had been shut down. Two paramedic officers gushed out of it, a woman and a man. They had both dressed blue uniforms bearing white crosses on their right shoulders. The woman was carrying a first aid kit box and the man was pulling a wheel stretcher. They all rushed to me and stopped on the porch, very close to me.