Chapter 22

The waves approach the docks in deep aquamarine, rising and falling at its own ever-changing pace

The waves approach the docks in deep aquamarine, rising and falling at its own ever-changing pace. It hums a peaceful lullaby. A sight that's impossible to avert our gaze from.

With each chug of the boats' engines, the gulls' harmonized cries envelop the cloudless sky, creating a music better than anything I've ever heard. Percussion section roars as the waves explode like bombs against the rocks in the shallows. The sea never misses a beat. Everything here is a classic piece of art, both to the eyes and to the ears.

Too bad, I say in my head. If we don't move any minute, the drones will be able to detect our presence.

We've been silent for a minute as we tread along the streets. There are people everywhere but not a single sign of joy on their faces. They seem to be distracted, stressed, and exhausted after what seems to be a whole day of manual labour—almost neglecting the paradise around them. The paradise we never get to experience. How can someone so lucky chooses to disregard their own chip of luck?

"Can you please help me carry this?" Alynne taps Harvey's shoulders. Looks like the bag that contains her drone is too heavy for her. We're lucky Dinah has a spare bag and clothes on her way here, almost as if she knows we're coming.

"Hey," I interrupt, breaking the silence. "How did you know that we're coming today?"

"What was that, dear?" Dinah responds.

"How did you know that we're arriving at this exact day?"

"Ah, sweetheart. Hasn't anyone told you? We got everything perfectly planned before we got separated. If someone is going to be relocated, everyone promised that those who woudl be staying at Scarville were obliged to find a way to group up. Considering that it sounded almost impossible—until now. We decided to set a date. This is the day, dearie."

"What if they failed?" I heave a sigh. "What if we didn't make it?"

"We would wait again next year, same date."

I nod, one with respect. We do not know if someone has already accomplished anything similar to what we've done. If so, that is absolutely something to look up to. It takes more than effort to get pass the walls. You'll also need commitment to so many things which most people are not willing to comply.

"Hey, Dinah," Morgana calls out. "How did you know that we're here already?"

"Ahh, that. Michael heard something strange. He said it was a loud noise, too loud to comprehend. I checked, and found you."

"It must be Cole's cyberware. This handsome fella right here can scream really loud. It can get pretty messy sometimes."

"That noise came from him? No wonder Michael was able to locate you quickly."

"Michael?" I raise a brow, interrupting them.

"An ally." Morgana answers with a wink.

"I can't wait for you to meet him. He's a very nice kid and a sucker for cars. That's what he'd always tell me. Oh, how I miss him. His energy is really overwhelming almost of the time, although sometimes, he becomes stubborn. I think you two will get a long! Do you like kids, Cole? Do–" here comes Alynne chattering again she can't even catch her own breath. Everything seems to tickle her like a kid and if there is one idea coming from her mouth, there are nine more queuing up in her mind. It takes her a minute to realize that she's crossing her line again. Like a blooming rose, her cheeks flush a cherry-ish glow as the curve on her lips widens. "Sorry, I'm talking nonsense again."