Chapter 15

The fluorescent lights on the ceiling dance unsteadily but I didn't pay no mind

The fluorescent lights on the ceiling dance unsteadily but I didn't pay no mind. I bat it off as I slouch on a metal stool with Chester standing at my back.

"Alright, mate. Stay still while I patch these cuts. This will sting a little bit," he says, but with my mind wrapped in a thousand unanswered thoughts, his voice only plays in the background. I can hear him but the noise inside my head screams louder.

Everything that happened is still freshly tainted; the exhaustion, the fear, and the adrenaline. It's still here and can, once again, be ignited if provoked. Every single question eats away the sanity within myself. At this moment, everything I've ever known is not like how it used to be. That all the things around me is actually not what it seems. This includes Morgana and the rest of them.

I think I know these so-called friends of mine but in reality, I don't. They're onto something different, I can feel it. I'm not surprised though. They say people have dark sides. Sides you don't want anybody to see, that also goes for me, and I respect them for that. It's just that I never have expected them to turn out like that...a murderer. They should have at least oriented me that shedding blood is naturally involved in their daily lifestyle. Now it makes me wonder, am I even safe here?

Harvey is a soldier, that I understand. Morgana, on the contrary, has taken down a lot of hostiles too. And since when did she learn how to fight? Or worse...when did she learn how to kill?

A sudden prick on my back pulls me back to my senses, stopping me from fully submerging into my sea of tangled thoughts. I whip my head and take a quick glance, only to see Chester with a type of gun in his hand.

I jolt away, eyes agape.

"Dude, what's that?! Are you going to shoot me from behind?"

"What ya' mean? Shoot you with what? Oh, this?" he lifts his hand and brings it closer to my agitated, creased face. "Bro, chill! This isn't a gun. It's a revitalizer."

"Revi-what?" I gulp.

"Revitalizer, bro. It contains bioengineered gel. It would seal off your wounds and stop the bleedings. Have you not seen anything like this before? Come on, you know I won't bloody hurt you."

Strange, I say in my head.

My eyes fall upon the sight of it. The mechanism and structure resemble that of a gun. A handle with the same trigger system except that there are no bullets. What catches my attention the most are the tiny needles on its tip that I wouldn't be able to see if I had not looked closely. This only proves that the device isn't a handgun or any of its type. Still, I've kept my stance. He can still kill me with that thing if he really desires to.