52) Run

Zhou, the hòugōng's head advisor, comes in and takes my hand, ushering me to the main wing.
Xiang had called me to have a more intimate dinner in his wing tonight. I had prepared a song for him and made sure to bring my Dizi.

"Wish me luck and good fortune." I ask Tai Lee. She smiles and hugs me tightly before letting me go.

I venture into Xiang's room and sit, looking at the display of food and breaking at a small piece from something that looked good.

It seemed like an hour had passed. Xiang was taking longer than usual to arrive so I started playing. It always seemed to summon him.

As the chorus swells, I feel a warm palm beneath my nape and stop my playing to kiss it. "I was worried you wouldn't make it" I smile, my lips still press against his hand.

I turn around but gasp in horror at the figure standing before me.
It wasn't Xiang but Sayoran!

"What are you doing here?" I fume, standing up to match his height.

"Xiang couldn't make it. Something came up." He smiles pridefully. He knew more than he was letting on. He moves to the table and sits on a soft mat.
"Eat" he says, signaling me to the table where the spread of food steamed.

I shake my head no, looking out the window instead. I could feel his glare in the distance.

"If you don't eat, it's disrespectful
You won't want to be disrespectful to the reigning prince?"

I stormed out the room and try to leave but he snaps and the guards block my path

"How dare you! I am the consort."

"Soon to be. Pity it is that Xiang didn't instate you." He says calmly, surveying the spread of food to decide what to eat.

I try to look for something, anything to defend myself. He would not touch me.

"Relax Daiyu. I am just here to have dinner."

"Was Genji's presence not enough to satisfy you?"

"I asked for dinner with Daiyu, not a girl who couldn't hold a flame to you"

"What is your end goal?
Dinner?
Then what?
I belong to Xiang.
My heart beats for him and him alone"

"For now..." he says darkly, sipping a cup of mead.

"Forever" I interrupt him.

"So you say." I interjected.

"That I know." He charges. "Come. Your food will get cold" He points to my bowl with chopsticks.

I hesitantly sit but refuse to eat. He might have poisoned it.

"Bold of you to have this meeting in the emperor's room" I smirk.

"Is it? I would prefer if he walk in. I have nothing to hide."

"Disgusting" I mutter.

"Why? Are you that vain that you think the parameters of this meeting are something more than chopsticks and dumplings?" His straight black hair caressed his ears carefully. I watched him carefully. He was a handsome specimen but his darkness made me recoil.

"Vain? You kissed me?"

"Your lips looked soft." He shrugs.

I roll my eyes and stand to leave. I had no patience left.

"I wouldn't go so soon Tai Yen"

My heat drops and my stomach flips as I hear his words.

No one.
Not even Xiang has called me that since....

I turn around to face him but quickly fix my face.

"Pardon? You said ... " my words trail off. It was best I play dumb.

"Tai yen. You're thé tai yen."

"What is that"

"Don't play dumb Daiyu. You are far from it." He pops another dumpling in his mouth before standing to face me.

He takes his palms and turns me around, slowly peeling the collar of my robe down. I hit him away but he forces me against the wall, holding the nape of my neck.

"Let gooo!" I grumble. He chuckles when he sees my bruised back from where the tatto used to be and curses.

"Foolish.
All of you."

He takes a lantern from the wall, and spins me towards the mirror, holding it up to the fire.
"Invisible ink. You don't think they would be so foolish to tattoo you with ink that can be easily removed?"

My eyes open and I snatch away, cowering in the distance.

"Xiang so busy fucking you, he was blind to use common sense"

"So it was you!!" I curse, hitting him away and pulling up my collar.

He looks confused.

"All the nights
The presence
The shadows
You are the masked figure"

"Me? No. I do not sneak in the shadows to torture you. What fun is that?" He smirks.

"Then how did you know?"

"You are a foreigner with no backstory
No family
Not even a trace of lineage
Who rose in ranks
It's impressive I will not lie, but suspicions.
I was the rightful heir to throne prepped on the affairs of the dynasty and what it took to rule.
I am well aware of the dragon heads."

I am quiet.

"Your silence is imperative"

"Xiang will buy your silence"

"I cannot be bought" he sighs.

"If you tell anyone! Your brother will die"

"Is that supposed to scare me into submission" he scoffs, walking towards the window.

"Yes. And if it doesn't You're a monster"

"I've been called worse."

"I will not ask what you desire. Your lust filled eyes tell me all I need to know about your aspirations.
But You will not have me.
By will or by force. I rather run far away than be yours."

He smirks and watches me before pushing his hands behind his waist. He ponders and turns to face me. With each step he took towards me, my heart raced. Finally we were a breaths apart. He bent low to face my eyes and watches my lips.

"I suggest you run then Daiyu.
And run fast."

———

Author Note

Y'all.... I really don't know what else to do/write. Any suggestions would be great.
I still haven't picked who the blue mask person was.
Idk. I'm trying to end this book but I don't have that "it's nearing the end" feeling.