4 | In a Name

I sat idly and uncharacteristically silent, beginning to question if I had in fact led myself into the arms of a serial killer.

It wasn't actually like me to be so impulsive. I made the choice to listen to the notes of my mother. Knowing that she was actually my aunt made no difference as to how I viewed her. As far as I was concerned, she raised me- giving me the best life she could under the circumstances, and I would always view her as Mom.

And my respect for her was what led me down this path. For whatever reason I had yet to know, she wanted me here in Haven. And I wasn't going to let her down.

The scenery that came into view pulled me from my musings.

"What is this place?"

I wasn't expecting the man to answer, but I was struck with genuine curiosity.

It was like nothing I had seen before.

We'd been on a gravel road for the past fifteen minutes or so, before the denseness of the forest scattered to reveal forty, if not fifty or so cabins that were nestled in the green expanse.

"Is this a commune?!"

Was I some sort of human sacrifice?

I began to feel my heart beat a million miles an hour, the stupidity of my decisions sinking in. Why did I trust this man? What ever could have possibly possessed me to jump willingly into a car with a stranger whose name I didn't even know?

A stranger who was twice my height and width, and with the indecipherable personality to match.

I suddenly felt so exposed, and involuntarily gripped the door handle as if I was going to make a break for it despite the flawed logic of such a decision.

I felt sick.

He must have picked up on my nerves.

"No, this is no commune- this is Haven," he chuckled.

Sensing I was in no way reassured, he continued, "we are a tight knit community. We all look out for each other. And although we do not get strangers here, I am certain you will be welcomed, and will find the answers you are looking for."

His voice had a softness and steadiness to it that was reassuring. I felt like a yoyo. One moment I was unnerved by him, and the next I felt warmth spread throughout me as if under some kind of hypnotic spell.

All I could muster was a pitiful "okay".

It wasn't as if I didn't notice that all my bravado and sass had gone out the window. But this- this, was not what I was expecting. Perhaps I was naïve. I had pictured a quaint country town filled with coffee shops and idle gossip, where I would be the Zoe Hart of my own Bluebell. But this was no Bluebell. This was cabin after rustic cabin, and a larger timber building on the outskirts of which I couldn't guess the purpose. I could tell however, it was unlikely to be serving the pumpkin spice latte I so desperately craved.

But a few moments later, the man pulled into the driveway of one of the cabins, silently pulling the keys from the ignition before issuing his command.

"Wait here."

I don't know where he expected me to go, but alas I listened.

I watched him like a hawk as he waited, before a slightly younger woman greeted him as she closed her door behind her. Eyeing them both standing out the front, I tried not to appear like the voyeur that I was but her eyes fixated on me as she listened to his words, the words I desperately wished I could hear.