15 | Mark of a Mate

I felt his fingertips caress my cheek as he tucked me in. The bed dipped as he sat beside me, the rhythmic sound of his breathing like a lullaby lulling me into bliss.

Maybe I had dreamt it, or maybe it was real, but I swore I felt the gentlest kiss on my forehead before it all went black.

~

I woke up with instant regret. Recalling my actions last night at Full Moon made me cringe in humiliation.

Pulling back the covers, I realised that I was still wearing my outfit from last night, albeit missing my shoes that I noticed were placed carefully by the bedroom door.

I breathed a sigh of relief.

The drunk me wanted Phelan, but the sober me knew better.

I didn't expect that he would have seized the opportunity, for two reasons. One, he'd made it abundantly clear from his actions and words that his care for me was strictly related to his role as Alpha. And two, I knew he wasn't the type of person to take advantage, even if I didn't view it as such at the time.

Edging off the bed, I headed for the dresser. I grabbed a change of casual clothes, sweatpants and a jumper, and headed to the shower. I was desperate to rinse off the guilt from my antics from the night before.

I didn't even want to show my face, I was really just delaying the inevitable.

Once I'd gotten myself half decent I headed downstairs, determined to pretend that nothing happened. In fact, I was certain Phelan wouldn't be here, given that was the pattern we'd established since I'd been here.

I felt like a foreigner in his home. Despite him saying otherwise, it felt rude to treat his place like I would my own.

I didn't feel comfortable leaving a plate in the sink, watching the television or even lifting a book from the shelf. It felt like I was prying in his personal space, and although I still knew little of him, I knew his privacy was something he valued.

That was why, upon opening the bedroom door, I was surprised to hear hushed yet animated voices coming from downstairs.

It was clearly a tense conversation, and I wondered if my sudden appearance would aggravate the situation, or if I should go back to my room and wait it out.

But of course, my curiosity got the better of me. I wanted more insight into the man who'd invaded my thoughts but barely said two words to me. I wanted more understanding as to what was going on.

Was eavesdropping the answer? No. But I was desperate.

I stepped out of my room.

I held my breath as I leaned against the dimly lit hallway. Closing my eyes, I knew if I was caught I'd be done for.

"Oh come on. You know she feels it. Last night should tell you that."

Sophia. Her voice was obvious.

"That had nothing to do with it. She was drunk... if I hadn't stepped in..."

His voice was strained. Each word was as if he was exasperated.

Was he implying that I was easy? Or that other males would want to take advantage? Did he really have no idea how I felt?

Gunner's voice was next, it was almost as if he was pleading with Phelan to change his mind on something.

"It has to be done Phelan. She has no protection without it. No mind link, no wolf, nothing."

His voice pitched at the end, "you understand we want the best for her too right? For you both?"