10 | Hit the Dust

Needed at Full Moon. Soph on her way. Don't stray too far.

Looking at the note on the kitchen bench, I'd never been more grateful for divine intervention. I was so mortified about dropping my bundle last night that immense relief washed over me knowing I didn't have to confront it this morning.

I couldn't explain what came over me but I wouldn't let it happen again.

Bringing my coffee upstairs, I proceeded to get ready for the day. Snow had cleared. The sky was painted with the brightest blue hue and it filled me with promise. Today was going to be a good day. It had been so easy to get caught up in the whirlwind that the last few days had been, but I needed a slice of normalcy, if only for a few hours.

I was determined to make Sophia my partner in crime. Given the weather was holding up for us, I wanted to see more of what Haven had to offer.

"Are you feeling okay Edie?" Concern etched across her face, for reasons unbeknownst to me.

"Yes! Obviously! I just feel claustrophobic, I want to get out and explore."

"Yeah. But, you're acting like you haven't just had your whole world turned upside down, so it's okay to need some more time..."

"Oh please. It's fine. I'm fine. It's totally- absolutely fine."

I didn't know who I was trying to convince more. And neither did Sophia. Filling the awkward silence, I threw on my coat, and swung open the door, "so where are you taking me?"

"Well since this wasn't exactly planned, would you like to head to the pack house, meet some of the pack and learn a little more about life here?"

I watched her as we walked from the house. I wanted to go on foot, it had been so long since I'd stretched my legs properly and I really needed the exercise.

The land was buzzing with the coming Spring. Colour was coming back to the trees, and although still crisp, there was the smell in the air that hinted at the change of season. It was heavenly.

I was lost in my own head. "I see why my mother would have loved it here..."

"I'm glad you like it... the Winter might be hard to acclimatise to at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly."

"Mmm." I brushed off her comment as I digested it.

Did I want to acclimatise? Did that not infer that I would be staying?

I watched a group of young children playing tag between the trees. I saw smoke billowing from cabins as families prepared their breakfasts. And I heard the streams of laughter and squeals travel down the pathway as the pack got ready for the day ahead.

I was hit with guilt like it was a slap in the face as I realised that me being here risked their wellbeing. The Guild can only kill on pack territory....

If I left, did that mean that The Guild would they lose the incentive to hurt anyone from Haven if they weren't harbouring me? What would they do to Phelan in retaliation for killing some of their members and protecting me?

His life was at risk because of me. So was Sophia's and Gunner's and everyone else I had yet to meet.

I imagined their bitterness at my presence given what it meant for them.

My mind was made up.

There was no point in staying. After all, I'd gotten my answers. I found out my mother was a werewolf. I found out that both Dad and her died because of me. And now I had put Phelan's pack at risk because of my impatient curiosity.