26 | Gone Underground

Disorientation washed over me, knocking me over like wave after wave as my eyes held on to anything, anything at all to maintain some semblance of consciousness.

Scanning my surroundings, I began naming objects in an attempt to remain present and aware of my situation.

Glass.

Scan to the left.

Partition... Toilet.

Blue lights... flickering.

White.

I was in some sort of glass room. Glass cage.

I didn't know how much time had past. My mind was a blanket of fog, my vision spinning as I focused on my breathing.

Stay calm. You can do this. You are alive, you haven't been hurt. Just breathe.

But I couldn't.

Gasping for breath I heaved myself off the cold, hard floor. Each muscle twitched with strain, my palms pressed under me in an effort to get upright. Pushing through the pain, I managed to shift my hands to my knees, crouched over as I slowly and tentatively shuffled to the glass door that was keeping me captive.

Resting my body against the glass, I noticed the surroundings beyond my immediate vision. Desk lamps upon pristine benches, white cupboards, I didn't have to be a scientist to realize I was in some kind of underground laboratory.

I winced with the realization. I was utterly fucked. But if they, whoever they were, wanted me dead, why was I still alive?

Encroaching footsteps pulled me from my thoughts. Although I hadn't shifted, my senses were stronger than ever, seeing the best in others despite all logic not withstanding.

I closed my eyes, honing my attention to the footsteps.

Two sets. One male, one female. The slower gait of the male seemingly tentative in his approach.

As they stepped closer, I braced myself not know what to expect. Would they hurt me? Kill me?

A woman. Mid forties I'd suspected. She was definitely a werewolf. Tall, lean, sculpted, just like them all... except me.

Her expression was twisted into smile gone awry, a sinister gloat, that had I not been in the throes of mate sickness, I'd have wiped from her wretched face.

"Hello Edith."

Being incapacitated couldn't prevent me from huffing in disgust. A slight chuckle escaping from my mouth between short breaths.

"Forgive me... but I'm not one to feign niceties, what the fuck... am I doing here?"

The female werewolf took mock offence.

"That's no way to treat a host. I'm hurt."

Clicking heels came into my peripheral as my head hung low, focusing on the door seal to prevent myself from feeling unsteady.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Leila, I work for The Guild... have you heard of us?"

"You mean the piss weak werewolf cult that can't handle a half breed unless they're incapacitated? Yeah, I've fucking heard of you."

I heard her sigh as she leant against the glass wall, showing me her back. The dramatics this bitch was employing was next level.

"We've never seen such a prospective talent since, well, your mother. You must understand our reasoning, no?"