19 | Aconitum Napellus

As soon as we opened the front door, the smell of pizza hit me in the face. It was heavenly.

Granted, it wasn't the protein based meal advised by Harlow, but I thought I deserved it after sweating my ass off all day sparring with a werewolf.

I watched as Gunner walked to Sophia, wrapping his arms around the back of her waist as she plated up dinner.

"Even if you weren't my mate, I'd still wife you..."

It was nice to see a couple in love, and momentarily I was reminded of simpler times with Hale.

Stop it.

I have a chance to move forward now, with something real. With someone who won't run away.

I glanced at Phelan. Taking the plate that he held out in offering, I mouthed him a soft thank you for his kindness before we all congregated to the lounge.

I laughed so hard that I snorted when I saw what was on the screen ready to play.

"The Vampire Diaries?! Are you guys for real?"

I'm glad they laughed back, even Phelan offering a smirk as he threw back his bottle of cider, raising his free hand in surrender. "Don't blame me..."

"We thought a little light hearted comedy at our expense would be fun, and also a chance to prove or dispel any folklore as we go. Think of it as a mockumentary..." trailed Sophia.

I licked my lips. "Well that depends... which Salvatore brother you have eyes for because I'm not sharing."

I watched as Phelan looked quizzically at Gunner before he shook his head in disbelief, "werewolf or human, I can't believe women fall for this shit..."

Gunner was quick with his clap back, "Speak for yourself big boy, even I can't resist the charms of Damon Salvatore!"

Sophia shot her mate a look of feigning jealously, "Hey!! Hands off, you know he is mine, after you of course..."

After I swallowed a bite of pizza I had to interject, "Well, jump to the back of the queue guys because I've always been Team Damon. Although I'm also a bit partial to Tyler... Oh and Alaric before he went psycho... Did anyone see that coming? I never can make up my mind, I am the worst judge of character..." I rambled.

Sophia and Gunner erupted into a fit of laughter while Phelan just shook his head in disbelief, "Looks like I'm in for a longggg night..."

***

As the first episode played out, my eyes were glued to Elena at the cemetery journaling by her mother's grave as I voiced to no one in particular, "So are Vampires real?"

Sophia was eager to explain. "Yep. They aren't like how they're portrayed though. Like us, they keep to themselves and have their own laws of governance that keep them off the radar to humans."

My brow lifted in skepticism, "So, they can't just go around killing people then?"

"No. They'd be in deep shit if they did though. Just as we would be," she said, a mouth full of pizza making her words a little unclear.

"Well that's a relief I suppose." I mused.

Despite the episode playing out, I had more questions. "Okay okay. So do you remember when- actually I don't remember the episode or season, but Tyler used Wolfsbane to slow down his transformation. Is Wolfsbane a thing?"