2 | Butterscotch Pudding

Slowly my eyes began to adjust to the darkness as the hulking frame came closer into view.

I wasn't game to repeat my question, and my unease must have somehow been apparent to the man who decided so chivalrously to put me out of my misery.

"Storm's cut the power. Lines fallen across the road, so you're staying here the night. At least until we clear the roads."

Monotone. Succinct. And quite frankly, rude.

And to have the audacity to leave me sitting there, in the corner of the booth, in the dark, and without my drink.

Like, the actual fuck?

Sliding across the seat, I stood to follow him.

"One more move and you will break your neck." He sounded completely irritated and bored. And as if to clarify that he wasn't a serial killer in waiting, ever so kindly elaborated as to what he actually meant, "steps are just ahead."

"What, do you have night goggles or something?!"

His huff was audible, and if I wasn't mistaken, it appeared the exchange between the man and I was now the only conversation occurring in the entire place.

I could have heard a pin drop had there been any, and suddenly realized that I was the only person left in the place.

"What the hell?!"

I stepped closer before turning his shoulder to make him face me.

"If we can't leave, why has everyone else left, huh?!"

Suddenly I found myself stepping back as he stepped closer. Slowly, he moved forward and he was undeniably annoyed, that much I could tell. Yet his words came out slowly and calmly as if he genuinely wanted to know,

"Do you ever stop talking?"

Crossing my arms in indignance, I puffed my chest in false bravado.

"No. And I'm still waiting."

"They walked. It's just you and me kiddo."

It was only the state of total darkness that left me confident enough to roll my eyes at the indignant asshole, but for some odd reason, I could have sworn I heard his stifle a smirk in response.

Still, he lurked away, each foot step fading into God knew where, while I was left wondering two distinct things; how did everyone vanish without me noticing, and where the hell was my drink?

Trying not to sulk about it, I maneuvered back to my booth, and felt around for my handbag. I was determined to get my phone. Finding the battery down was down to three percent, I took my chances and opened Safari, typing in Haven to see what popped up. I wasn't sure what I was looking for exactly. Maybe a B&B, maybe one star reviews for the service at Full Moon Bar & Restaurant, but definitely not a range of premium men's apparel complemented by Japanese sourced products, which was the first result that came up.

Huffing in impatience, I tossed my phone on the timber table and ran my fingers through my hair. Now what, Edie?

Google Maps. Ah ha! Typing in Haven again, I was ready to get out of here. My frustration started to build as I watched my phone drop to two percent. Living life on the edge. But, as the page loaded, the only place it listed was a city called Melbourne in Australia, and I could say with absolute certainty that the sub zero climate I was currently experiencing indicated that I was not anywhere remotely close to the Southern Hemisphere.

"You won't find us on any map, Edie."

His husky voice made me jump through the roof, and I swore I felt my heart skip a beat, "Jesus Christ! Are you trying to scare me half to death... and how the hell do you know my name?!"