34 | Into the Night

-One year later-

So much had changed since that first clunky drive up the mountainside to Haven.

The falling snow, the blind corners, all the things that obscured my view as I gripped the steering wheel in fear, wondering what I was doing and where I was going.

I remember singing along to Landslide, quite ironically, as I felt completely lost and ill-prepared to handle the seasons of my life as I slowly drove through the treacherous and unforgiving terrain.

Looking back, I honestly didn't think I had a grip on the direction my life was taking. I had gotten in the car that day with nothing left. All I had was a broken relationship, an unfinished degree, and an old bag of clothes to my name.

I left everything I knew behind, knowing that I was searching for something but without knowing quite what it was.

And then everything shifted.

If I had pictured my future back then, I would in no way have imagined to be sitting where I am now.

A bad ass bitch that wouldn't take shit from anyone.

A leader.

A Luna.

Sitting back on the deck as I swirled my afternoon pick me up, I gazed out into the falling sun.

I was once a human girl who yearned for a place in the world. Who felt misunderstood, misplaced and alone.

I had always felt like I was on the outside. Staring through a window pane as others played out their happy and fulfilled lives on the other side where I just couldn't quite touch. It had always felt so out of reach.

But hindsight was a wonderful thing because now I knew there was a reason for that. I had been grasping for something that wasn't meant for me. I was fighting to be something I wasn't, rather than accepting who I was.

I was different.

I always had been.

And it took coming to Haven to realise it and more importantly, be proud of it.

I remember the first night at Full Moon. The vibration in the air had me hypnotised. It drew me in. Everyone, everyone was just like me... different. Except the difference back then was that they were unapologetically so.

And the difference now, was that so was I.

I might have been a hybrid. I might have been an impossibility, but what I really was, was just a girl looking to fit in and find her place in the world.

And now I had.

After Phelan had marked me and brought me back home, I waited about a month before I mustered the courage to open the laptop and view what was on the USB stick.

I kept avoiding it as I wasn't quite ready and instead I poured my focus into the future instead of the past.

The days were glorious.