8: effort

Chapter 8

A knock was heard at the door. That can't be your parents, they won't be home from a business trip until the weekends, and you remember it's just Wednesday.

"Can you open up [Nickname]? It's frickin' cold out here!" You bolted up from the sofa when you heard 'Tsumu's snarky voice. You opened the door wide and saw the twins. Atsumu was holding pillows and blankets on one hand and a plastic of CDs on the other. Osamu barged right in without any greeting. He went to your kitchen and set the food he's holding down the table.

"Time for dinner" he quietly muttered.

You haven't visited them in the volleyball gym or even walk home with them for the past weeks, just giving hi, hello's and good morning's casually in the hallways.

"What are you doing here?" You hesitantly asked,

"The usual" he replied shortly.

The usual meant their once a month sleepover every time your parents are out for business. They would always bring you food, knowing that you can't cook to save someone and keep you company the whole time.

"Ya, that and we're going to talk" Atsumu's voice rang out in the silence.

"Talk..? About what?" Of course you knew what to talk about, you literally just went and gone MIA on them.

"Why are you avoiding us?" Atsumu bravely asks

"Am I avoiding you guys?" You replied. Ignorance always work, they say.

"You know what we're talking about [Nickname]..." This time, it was Osamu who said it.

"Is it about those girls? I told you they weren't up to any good! But you still went and be friends with them!" Atsumu loudly said, an annoyed glare plastered on his face.

"You can't blame me if I want to have some girl friends..." you whispered lowly but loud enough for the both of them to hear.

"We're already here! What more can-" Atsumu yelped as he was cut off by his brother stomping on his foot.

"Shut up" Osamu whispered to his twin

"Okay okay! I'm sorry... I just thought if I put some distance between us then nobody would think of about repeating it..." Osamu walked towards you and patted your hair,

"You know, if you have to sacrifice something for a friendship then that ain't friendship at all." he said. Your eyes started glistening at what he said but you held it. You already cried that night at the party, you won't cry here. It's embarrassing.

"Yeah yeah, we're all good now. So let's go eat dinner, the movies aren't going to watch themselves." You laughed softly and walked after the twins who's now making a beeline for your dining room.

Yeah, won't trade anything for these two.

"I think I'm just scratching the surface of what went down..." Ryuji interrupted your thoughts. She stood up and looked at you seriously,

"But from what I can see, the twins are making an effort to be your friend again. Why push that away?" she remarked.

What she said made you think. Why? Don't you want to reconcile? You know you missed the friendship that you had, so what's holding you back?

'You think someone will actually like you? You're nothing without the Miya twins.'

You immediately shook the memory off. That's not true. The person who said that was trying to break you, to get his revenge on the twins. And he did.