20: find

Chapter 20

It is not stretch to say that you and Shirabu met because of the Miya twins, or rather because of their fans. It was during your second year in middle school. The Miya twins started gaining popularity, more and more people join their fan club as they goes by. One thing that the fanatics caught wind of is of course, the friendship dynamic between the three. Seeing it as unfair, they slowly start to harass you.

Shirabu, on the other hand, is known for his cold demeanor and blunt harsh words. He is not as popular as the Miya twins, but the spotlight was on him for awhile since he was a late transfer when they were first years and is good looking. Everyone wanted to get to know him, but he brushed them all off and allegedly 'kept attacking them with words'. In short, he was unapproachable.

The harassment from the Miya fanclub grew a big scale from simple snide remarks to missing shoes incident, being splashed water out of nowhere and the one that started your friendship with Shirabu in the first place - the typical vandalism and putting trash on your table.

You entered the classroom as you wave goodbye to the Miya twins who walked you to your classroom. You immediately sensed the atmosphere in the room. Some guys were shifted awkwardly while trying to send you signals that you didn't get. While all the girls in your class was huddled together on one side of the room, whispering and giggling to some kind of inside joke.

You thought nothing of it and continued to make your way to your seat. That was when you saw it. Your books that was kept under the table was brought out, some pages were torn out. Your table was vandalized with markers - words such as 'stay away from Atsumu-kun' and 'stop flirting with Osamu-kun' was branded on the table. It seems the ones who were responsible for the vandalism didn't exactly knew which table was hers at first as the table of her seatmate was also vandalized. It was such a relief when you checked the books of your seatmate and found them untouched - that would be an entirely other situation if that happened. Just thinking of someone's belongings being trashed because of you is unsettling - well, technically the table was also vandalized - but semantics.

Your eyes started stinging with tears but you kept it in. You refuse to shed a single tear for these kinds of people. They're not worth it. You first started to clear out your now-destroyed books when someone stopped beside you. The silence inside the room is suffocating. Even the girls who were chatting and giggling nonstop were silent.

"People still do these things at middle school? So immature." he let out an annoyed sigh and brought out some wipes of his own to clean his table. You faced him and bowed to apologize for the inconvenience.

"Shirabu-san, I'm really really really sorry for this. Don't worry, I'll have it cleaned in no time!" you exclaimed

"Why are you apologizing to me? It's not like you were the one who wrote these things on the table. Unless, you did?" you immediately shook your head at the end of his sentence.

"Still... this happened to your table because of me" you mumbled

"I think you need to change that mindset." he looked at you direct to the eye and said, "This happened because of their insecurity at what you have. Immature people are like that - they drag other people down because they can't bear to see them having what they want."

He nonchalantly continued to wipe the table, not expecting to hear any response from you. When he got to the handwritings in the table, he paused and let out a chuckle. This immediately got the attention of everyone else in the room who were slowly minding their own business.