CHAPTER XV

Her...

The ride to my usual washer was short-lived since I didn't have an appointment and the line was too damn long. Yes, there are at least twenty other places I could go to wash my damn dirty Chevy, but I don't trust them enough to try them out, and I don't trust reviews.

So I used google and clicked on the most recommended place on the list of car washes. They had a reasonable price and the place looked actually neat enough to try out.

'88 wheels' seemed promising with it's yellow and black checkered logo, many rows of garages, and a huge ass parking lot. The best part of it though was that it was close to us.

When I finally pull up and reach the shop, it looks as neat as it did in the pictures. High and standing might.

My happy demeanor is almost immediately destroyed, burned to ashes, thrown in the wind, maybe even pissed on when I see a black Porsche Spyder 918. This 'accidentally running into these guys is starting to drive me mad. There must be another Porsche Spyder 918 with that exact number plate, right?

I turn to look at Bryson and his sleeping limb body. I sink deeper into my seat, thinking about my options. I could facetime Gloria, have her look at my sleeping boy. In case something happens she would always call the police.

" I could watch him. " I jump in my seat, looking at my review mirror, towards my stupid brother.

" Maxence. " I breathe out slowly to calm my racing heart. " What the hell are you doing here?"

" Startling you. Am I really naturally that terrifying to you?" He mutters, swallows a lump before looking towards Bryson.

" Where were you yesterday? You didn't come to the house and you weren't at the tracks nor the fight last night." He scoffs at my question because he hates it when I snoop after him. I want to show him that I care, but he hates it.

" It's none of your business. How about you worry about your own problems for once." I cross my arms. I know he knows. He must. He wouldn't be this cocky if he didn't.

" What problems do you think I have then?" I pray he doesn't know. I can't handle his disappointed glare. He has always talked down on thieves and thugs. Sadly, living on the bad side of town does that to you, changes you.

" Don't play me for a fool, Nico. Your jewelry box is full of golden and shining rings and chains that have never and will never belong to you. And they said you stole from Smith. You steal from your friends now too? What, are you going to rob me next? "

" No. I would never. I just found them, I'd-" The lie escapes from my lips so quickly. It always does. I'm a chronic liar and it has become almost a first instinct to me. Because lying protects you. And I need to be protected.

" Stop, lying, Nico. I know you don't just race for fun. You go there to steal, from the only community that takes you as their own. It's a dangerous game you're playing." That sent me off the edge.

" I would never! I went there so that Bryson could have a roof over his head and food on the table. I go there every single week so that Bryson could wear different and colorful clothes and shoes that actually fit him. It's all meant for his good. "

" If that helps you sleep at night, then sure. You tell yourself that. " He looks out the window, at the garages and cars. " Why haven't you washed your car already? "

" Because I raced last night. I told you this. " But he never listens to me.

" Maybe you did, but I asked why the car was still dirty. Why didn't you come and wash it yesterday? " I looked at him stunned. Why? He has always been like this, perfect. Everything around him always has to be. That's why I anger him so much. I'm not perfect.